Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to put a y8 in my 97 dx hatch. This car is going to be a daily driver. I am trying to find a good cheep turbo with all the parts, bov, intercooler everything. I just dont know which one to get. any recomendations>

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, for a daily driver I would recommend a pre fab kit. If you are looking for a very complete kit I would go with the Edelbrock. It's not cheap but it will get the job done. You can also go with the Greddy, but you will need to either get the intercooler kit or put together your own intercooler kit for it. Of course you could also go with a custom kit and save money, but you must spend more time on gathering the pieces and doing research. You can make a more reliable and more powerful kit by doing it custom but it takes more time and effort. It all depends on how much time and money you want to spend.

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
werd. it all depends on your power goals, money you can spend, time you want to take, etc. if you do enough research and take enough time, a custom kit can be very very worth it. but if you're afraid to mess up, or don't trust yourself, look into a prefab kit. also, there are people who are selling their kits online, just be careful of what you buy.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reliabilty and power depends on fuel management and tuning. There isn't a pre-fab kit out there that come with good fuel managent so whatever you decide to do, defintely get better fuel manageemnt. The edelbrock turbo kit is worthless if you ask me. The GT28R just sucks. Edelbrock tested the open track kit to see what the turbo could do and at 20 psi it made 283hp at the flywheel on a stock Y8.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, also, I want to know if I should either get the y8 or put a y8 head on the y7 block, but the motor has 127,000 miles on it. If I rebuild it what all should I do first. Keep in mind I want to turbo it. Also can I use the turbo pistons without a turbo until I get one? I am just now learning about turbos.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts