Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello d-series,

Im building my y8 and need some help about bearing brands.

The build is a y8 with eagle/cp and 250whp target - project thread soon...

My crankshaft is STD.

Which brand of bearings should i use for rods ? And for mains?

My engine is new... never took apart before.. but the rods bearings was about to spun i believe cause it had wear on the journal face and on the rod face too..
The engine has 145000km.. so.. i dont know if OEM will hold up the turbo and im considering ACL or Clevite.. please some input? Thankz

·
Registered
477 Posts
ACL Race bearings or Clevite 77's Ive used both and have no had issues with either.

I have clevite 77's in my motor now and they seem to be doing very well.. hell they use them in funny cars that make over 2000 hp that's gotta say something right there.

acl and clevites are made from harder materials that equal high crush for maximum retention unlike stock honda bearings.. Honda bearings are made from a softer material this is why acl and clevites are better for boost and high hp builds..

I personally would never use honda bearings on a motor thats making three times the power that honda intended it to make..

The main thing is making sure the clearances are correct though for sure..

If i where you i would bring the crank to a machine shop and have them inspect it with a micrometer to see if it has wear..

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ACL Race bearings or Clevite 77's Ive used both and have no had issues with either.

I have clevite 77's in my motor now and they seem to be doing very well.. hell they use them in funny cars that make over 2000 hp that's gotta say something right there.

acl and clevites are made from harder materials that equal high crush for maximum retention unlike stock honda bearings.. Honda bearings are made from a softer material this is why acl and clevites are better for boost and high hp builds..

I personally would never use honda bearings on a motor thats making three times the power that honda intended it to make..

The main thing is making sure the clearances are correct though for sure..

If i where you i would bring the crank to a machine shop and have them inspect it with a micrometer to see if it has wear..
Thank for the first reply. Honda bearings are soft? harder is better for high power ?

ACL or ACL Race? Cause ACL RACE has a higher clearance right.. maybe too much?

I inspected the crank with micrometers.. and its on STD specifications (44,99mm if i remember right)... so thats ok, right? i checked it twice.. with help of two friends and two sets of micrometers.. both friends have engine building experience.

btw here is my build http://www.d-series.org/forums/forced-induction/234281-cpls-d16y8-full-build-thread.html

·
Registered
477 Posts
Correct honda bearings are a softer material.. If you spin a bearing on a honda motor the crank is usually left undamaged IF! it was shut down right away of course...

when you spin a bearing with acls or clevites they usually will score the crank.. that tells you right there the honda bearings are softer.

ACL Race Series - Acura D16A1, Honda D16A6&ZC Performance Engine Bearings

You can get the specs from acls website on clearances and get info on the materials they use in the bearings..

my car is running .0035 ptw and .0017 on both mains and rods and i have yet to have issues and i beat the shit out of it on the daily lol

I am using (Clevite 77 P) I would not get the H series clevites they are more of a replacement bearing then a high performance bearing http://www.jegs.com/i/Clevite/695/MS1804P/10002/-1

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct honda bearings are a softer material.. If you spin a bearing on a honda motor the crank is usually left undamaged IF! it was shut down right away of course...

when you spin a bearing with acls or clevites they usually will score the crank.. that tells you right there the honda bearings are softer.

ACL Race Series - Acura D16A1, Honda D16A6&ZC Performance Engine Bearings

You can get the specs from acls website on clearances and get info on the materials they use in the bearings..

my car is running .0035 ptw and .0017 on both mains and rods and i have yet to have issues and i beat the shit out of it on the daily lol
Nice! Good infos there..

You have a link for your build?
You running Z6 or Y8? and what pistons?

Im planning 0.0035" of piston clearance too.. but 0.0017 isnt too little for main/rod clearance? I dont remember standart specification

·
Registered
477 Posts
stock Rod clearance is .0015 mang

My lazy ass never took enough pictures of my build to make a build thread. I regret not taking pictures and showing everyone on here all my hard work lol

Im rocking a stock y7 head, y8 IM, Z6 block because of the better crank design...

The bottom end is 8.5.1 fjt vitara setup with the clearances stated above..

My engine is a Mutt!! lol

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ah, its a z6 crank then.. its better indeed =(

I probably going with ACL or Clevite then.. any more inputs? I found some people saying shit about ACLs... maybe better go with clevite?

The honda bearing is softer.. so it *can* leave the crank without damage if engine shutoff right away.. right? its a good thing...

but a softer bearing means it will spun easier ? that i dont know.. i mean.. if im going to make more power.. i need a harder one.. thats better.. im right?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yes harder bearings have a higher crush retention witch means they will not give under stress unlike a softer material.. there is a lot of force on the bearings and the metals they are made out of DO make a difference.

You cant go wrong with either brand its more about who you trust more acl or clevite..

I remember hearing a while back that Acl had some bad batches of bearings being sold and some people had them come apart ..not from spinning a bearing but the actual material separating lol

After i read those reviews I ordered Clevite 77 P's for my own build.

For what its worth.. I just looked on my box from the Clevite 77's And they are made in Japan. Honda.. japan.. get it? lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
Please do not use acl, I had a set of std sized main bearings installed and they were too thick causing my crank to seize. The rod bearings were fine though, but I ended up getting my crank polished with a matching set of clevites installed. Problem solved.

·
Registered
477 Posts
http://www.aclperformance.com.au/us/prod_e_bearingsus.htm This link shows what acls are made out of

ACL says they use the same process as honda to make there's so im sure they are made out of the same materials i think its mostly the inner layers and coatings on the aftermarket bearings that are different but those innner layers on performance bearings are harder stronger material. honestly for 250 hp You could run OEM bearings and be perfectly fine as long as the clearances are good.. that is really what matters.. I mean think about it honda OEM bearings last 300,000 miles before they spin or wear out usually.

I Think they are all fine to use if the clearances are correct for the power you are making.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
when I got my rebuilt crankshaft kit it came with king bearings. but because I am running LS rods I couldn't use the rod bearings that came with the crank kit. D16 rod bearings dont fit right on the LS rods but LS rod bearings can be used on D rods. ive been boosted for over a year with no problems.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have used and run and recomend King bearings in my turbocharged D16 and my gm ls based 408 stroker.

If you are getting machine work done talk to your machinist for his/her opinion since they ultimately have more experience than us.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thankz everyone for the inputs..

and i will talk to my machinist, just to confirm.

indeed i believe the oems can hold my build..
but to be safer.. im probably getting clevites.

One thing.. i readed it more than one time... people say to play with the bearings sets... until the best clearance is match.. since the bearings are not perfect equal one to each other...

I measured my crankshaft and it`s on standart size.. 44,99mm(rod) and 54,99mm (main). The rod is brand new.

By my knowledgement, if i put this clevite std kit... how the clearance will be out of specification ? its not possible, right? Only if i did something wrong when measuring the crankshaft.. right?

Just for reference, from manual

D16Y8 Standart Measures
Crankshaft Main Journal Diameter 54.976 - 55.000mm
Crankshaft Rod Journal Diameter 44.976 - 55.000mm
Taper/Out of Round 0.00025mm max
End-play 0.10-0.35mm

Main Bearing-to-journal oil clearance
- No 1 and 5: 0.018-0.036mm
- No 2,3,4: 0.024-0.042mm
Rod Bearing-to-journal oil clearance
0.02-0.038mm

So.. if my clearance is inside that ranges.. i will be fine ?

·
Registered
477 Posts
You can add the numbers up and you can figure out the oil clearances before you even install them. I knew what my clearances where going to be before i plasti guaged them.. Just wright all your info down for each journal and figure it out the oil gap with a calculator.

If you want bigger clearances for the rods or mains just polish the crank or order the .001 extra clearance bearings they offer.

As for using new rods and bearings on the crank you have.. yes they will all be the same unless the crank has uneven wear on the journals.

The main bearings on my motor where all around .0016 using the STD clevite bearings BUT your block has bearing codes and your can write those down and see how even the block bearings where from the factory and go from there..

Here is something for you to look at. http://www.onecamonly.com/showthread.php?t=2139

A word of advice (.38mm or .0015) for the rod clearances are STOCK honda specs.. for boost you want the gap bigger when making more power.

Having the gap that tight might end up causing a spun bearing.. i would shoot for .0016-.0017 on the mains and rods for a 250 hp build..

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thankz again for your help Turbo, REP FOR YOU.

I know about the codes on my block, but mine is using all green for the rods if i remember right....

My problem is exact that... how much clearance i want in mains and in rods?

You recommend 0.0016" (0.04mm) for rods ?

Anyone else on bearing clearance recommendation for 250-270whp y8 turbo ???

Thankz TurboD206

·
Registered
477 Posts
No problem man I am glad to help out.

I too would like to hear from others about what Rod and main clearances they run!

So c'mon guys! post some build specs!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Used king/honda/acl all with similar results. The only difference was the price
this year running acl because I got them for free

What kind of power where you making? and what clearances where you running.

Im pretty sure the OP has decided to go with clevites but hes trying to figure out what oil clearances to go with..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts