Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just picked up a pretty fresh looking 97 y8 that came with everything. I wanted to put this motor in my 97 dx hatchback. could i use the y8 wiring harness and then swap the pins on the ecu connector or should just stick with my y7 harness?

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,663 Posts
Actually, it's not plug and play. The Y8 harness has extra wiring for VTEC but is missing the wires for the secondary O2 sensor. And the Y7 harness works ok with a Y8 ECU except you need to add wires for VTEC. So choose your wiring problem.

Further, using a Y8 P2P ECU in a 97 hatchback may also have a problem and throw CEL 90 because of the absence of the fuel tank pressure sensor. At least it did in my 97 hatchie.

Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor FTP CEL 90 in EK 96-00 Civic - Honda-Tech

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ahh so real fun stuff. i read the link and it says if i swap out the floor harness it adds the FTP sensor. so if i do the power window conversion, it will take care of this problem? sounds like a win win to me lol

Also if i use the y8 harness. is the cabin already pre-wired for the extra vtec wires? How would i go about running the secondary 02 wires?(preferably in the most oem way)

But no matter which harness I use I will still need to swap around the pins on the ecu, correct?

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,663 Posts
ahh so real fun stuff. i read the link and it says if i swap out the floor harness it adds the FTP sensor. so if i do the power window conversion, it will take care of this problem? sounds like a win win to me lol

Also if i use the y8 harness. is the cabin already pre-wired for the extra vtec wires? How would i go about running the secondary 02 wires?(preferably in the most oem way)

But no matter which harness I use I will still need to swap around the pins on the ecu, correct?
Swapping the floor harness may add the FTP sensor wiring but not the sensor itself.

The Y8 harness takes care of the adding VTEC and IACV wiring mods but you have to add the secondary O2 wires. You can do this by getting some extra pins and a connector from a scrap harness. There is no OEM way of doing this since the Y8 harness is designed for a secondary O2 sensor that's under the car not on the manifold.

if you currently have a y7 engine harness hooked up and working, just add the vtec wires and switch to a 2 wire iacv.
...and the knock sensor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
sounds like to me the easiest way might be to run a p28 with a jumper and just plug the y8 harness in correct. cuz it doesnt look for a secondary o2, ftp or knock sensor. would this work until my 2 year tags are up and i need to go to emissions.

this way i havent switched a whole lot around and its easier to convert back to stock if i absolutely need to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts