Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello y’all, I’m new to the honda chassis and bought a 96 hatchback with a blown y7 and swapped in a y8. After going over the car I realized that it was manual swapped, not only that the y8 was auto until I took the auto stuff off to put the manual Trany on. Already wired everything up with the p2p ecu. Has rough idle and I don’t know if there’s certain things I have to do. Any help would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
d16y7 has 3wire IACV, Y8 has 2wire if manual, same 3wire if it was auto.

These are things to find out prior to a swap, future thoughts.

what harness is in it (year and trim it is from)
which p2p ecu was used (year and trim)

Simple things to check, do the rpms drop to 450-500 revs when IACV is unplugged?
Is the throttle cable slightly loose from snug, rather than too tight, causing IACV to be over active?
Is the throttlebody nice and clean?
Is distributor timing correct?

Its more money used up, but it might be worth sticking the Y7 head on there, and not having to deal with electronics being swapped.

Do a VIN check on the chassis to verify it is a manual swap, and not some sort of dumb stuff like a clusterfuck of wiring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
d16y7 has 3wire IACV, Y8 has 2wire if manual, same 3wire if it was auto.

These are things to find out prior to a swap, future thoughts.

what harness is in it (year and trim it is from)
which p2p ecu was used (year and trim)

Simple things to check, do the rpms drop to 450-500 revs when IACV is unplugged?
Is the throttle cable slightly loose from snug, rather than too tight, causing IACV to be over active?
Is the throttlebody nice and clean?
Is distributor timing correct?

Its more money used up, but it might be worth sticking the Y7 head on there, and not having to deal with electronics being swapped.

Do a VIN check on the chassis to verify it is a manual swap, and not some sort of dumb stuff like a clusterfuck of wiring.

The y8 I purchased came off of a automatic car
The ecu I bought was

-Honda Civic EX 1996-1998 OBD2A D16Y8 5 Speed M/T 37820-P2P-335 W241

the car itself is a 1996 Honda Civic hatchback dx

The cars cluster has the P R N D like an automatic car does. I’ll still do a vin check to verify, I’ll be checking the distributor timing and cleaning the throttle body.

when I fist start up the car, the rpms bounce in between the 1k and 2k rpm range. If I disconnect the IACV it’ll drop to like 1k

thank you for the help btw.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
IACV wriing fix is required. manual d16y8 ecu wants to see a 2 wire IACV. You can either install a manual d16y8 intake manifold, OR drill and tap the rear of your auto manifold in the blank position that is normally the 2 wire IACV mount and install a manual d16y8 throttlebody (simply has bottom 3wire IACV removed and cast shut).

OR you can try repinning the ecu harness, while KEEPING the 3wire IACV

The repinning requires a 0.8 or 1.0mm flathead precision screwdriver, or a dedicated hondade-pin tool. Brian from Vtec Academy recently did a video on youtube discussing this and linked the tools he uses on amazon.

FFSquad or something similar is who has a good picture guide on the IACV re-wire/re-pin. Honda-Tech should have a couple good guides too.

Lots of info here on DSO got moved or lost on website transitions, or photos/images un-linked or expired.

Reactions: robgoof

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IACV wriing fix is required. manual d16y8 ecu wants to see a 2 wire IACV. You can either install a manual d16y8 intake manifold, OR drill and tap the rear of your auto manifold in the blank position that is normally the 2 wire IACV mount and install a manual d16y8 throttlebody (simply has bottom 3wire IACV removed and cast shut).

OR you can try repinning the ecu harness, while KEEPING the 3wire IACV

The repinning requires a 0.8 or 1.0mm flathead precision screwdriver, or a dedicated hondade-pin tool. Brian from Vtec Academy recently did a video on youtube discussing this and linked the tools he uses on amazon.

FFSquad or something similar is who has a good picture guide on the IACV re-wire/re-pin. Honda-Tech should have a couple good guides too.

Lots of info here on DSO got moved or lost on website transitions, or photos/images un-linked or expired.
Thank you! I will go ahead and look over these options and get it all sorted out

1 - 5 of 5 Posts