Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been searching everywhere but I can't really find what I'm looking for, so if this thread has indeed been done before just point me in that direction. Otherwise, here goes..

I just bought a completely stock 94 ex for dirt cheap with a trashed engine. I don't care enough to tear it down and see what's wrong or if it's even salvageable, I'm just looking to swap it and go. I've been looking for a z6 to just do a clean, straight swap but I haven't had any luck anywhere around southern mn for a reasonable price. I did however find a y8 for a good price, and I'm wondering if it's worth it. I know the big obvious difference is obdI vs obdII but I'm wondering if there's any other significant changes that I'm not thinking of. I was also wondering if there's any way to convert the y8 to obdI besides buying a new ecu and conversion harness. The engine will come with both intakes but nothing else (dizzy, tranny, etc.). My buddy is under the impression that I should be able to swap all the other parts from my z6 and put them in the y8 and plug it right back in like normal, without the knock sensor of course cuz the p28 won't be looking for the knock sensor.

Basically, I'm wondering if I can just take the dizzy, o2 sensor, alternator, and power steering off my z6 and just put them straight on the y8, thus making the engine essentially obdI, or should I just bite the bullet and buy the ecu, dizzy, conversion harness, and other odd parts. Or should I really just hold out until a decent z6 comes my way.

·
Registered
1992 honda civic
327 Posts
u can take all your acc off the z6 and put it on the y8....your ecu will be fine (if you have a p28 ) ONLY thing youll have to do is either get the dizzy jumper harness or find an obd1 d15 dizzy (very easy to find anywhere and probably cheaper than a jumper harness)

·
Registered
2001 chevy s10
64 Posts
I used the y8 dizzy... I also bought it used so I might not have the y8 dizzy... but everything else swaps over. dont mean to thread jack but well how do I tell if I have a y8 dizzy just for the power of knowing.

·
Registered
1992 honda civic
327 Posts
its 100x easier and cheaper to just find a used b7 dizzy pretty cheap

you could try to take the internals outof the z6 dizzy you have and put them in the y8 dizzy (havent tried anything other than the coils before but it'll be worth trying)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts