Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i picked up a new DD with a bad Y8.. it ran but sounded like a niose maker at a soccor game.

Took it apart and found that #1 rod had spun.. noise was from missing rod bearing... wonder where it went?

Hmm... what came out of the oil pickup.... DAMN!

No bearing = lots of bad stuff. damage to girdle and cylinder base.

No. 1 rod journal... ouch!

No. 1 rod....

Another view of the mains...

Looks like i have some grinding to do of the No.1 cylinder base and double check just how deep the damage at the girdle is. Hope there is enough metal there as replacement of the girdle would mean an align hone of the block... $$$. :shocked:

BTW: top of piston shows slight contact with head in squish areas but no valve contact.. woo hoo.

Honed the block today and found another crank for $20.:p Hope it checks out good. Time to raid my garage and see what pistons i have laying around. Need a rod as well. Keep ya'll posted.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
look at the brigth side frree block notching lol

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
haha same thoughts here. block and girdle have already been notched :p

rough part is that crank. taking it to a shop to have them polish and check its specs?

-Luke

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
i say just get another Y7 or Y8 block. or a Z6 block

·
Registered
97 Honda Civic
1,784 Posts
I too have a Y8 block with a spun rod, gonna be pulling it apart in the next couple of months. Hope mine comes out a little nicer than yours lol.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i found a crank for $20 so i'm gonna use that if it checks out good. The oil pump had a lot of junk in it but the important surfaces appear usable. Just hve to shim it for added insurance. I had some spare rods so i'll pick the best ones and use them. this will not be a performance build so i'm ordering ebay parts and slapping it back together. Also need to grind the block in the meantime.

·
Registered
362 Posts
haha same thoughts here. block and girdle have already been notched :p

rough part is that crank. taking it to a shop to have them polish and check its specs?

-Luke
that's what i was going to suggest, but seems like you already got it figured out

looks a lot like my block...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
dam i had clean ass y8 crak i think u pm on ht lmk if u want it 30 bucks i think u offer

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
wellcome pic it up both times i went to ur house i got tickets :D 100 bucks each for paytroll or w/e that shit is lol riverside sucks

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
so i just pulled my motor apart today. same thing. the whole bearing was in the pick up. and the main bearing cap had a chunk takin out of it like yours. does this mean its bad? can i reuse it if i get it machined or something. help on this would be awesome thanks

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
haha thats was the same one i spun on my y7 :)

only difference is that i drove mine till it trew a rod thru the cilynder wall and out the back of cilynder #2

:lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts