Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, just signed up tonite basically bc every time I google something this site comes up so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I have a 99 civic ex project car that won't be driven for awhile so I can take my time and do whatever I want to it. It's a y8 motor that I'm prepping to pull out and completely rebuild for a sleeved, low compression turbo setup. I guess my questions are based on all these engine setups that basically sound like all these external systems are disconnected and ports are welded shut etc. I'm mainly talking about eliminating Fitv, iacv, thermostat, and pretty much any unneeded vac lines and coolant/water bypass hoses. Basically going for a clean looking race setup. Forgive me if I'm way off here but are all these systems able to be deleted by tuning the ecu? how do I know what I absolutely have to keep and what can be removed and sealed off?

Thank you for reading...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, what is this? I'm talking about the actuator looking thing with a cable that's attached to a hose that leads to the psgr side of the engine. I've searched high and low on the Internet and in manuals, can't find it.

Attachments

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,052 Posts
hahahahahaha are you serious?

that's for your heater lol.
that cable opens the line so hot water can flow through the heater core and air is blown over it and heats the car.

before you build your car, buy a Haynes or google a pdf for your year and do a bunch of reading. for instance, you don't really need to sleeve your block.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol sadly yes. I appreciate ur reply. I do have a Haynes manual and it's real good but I couldn't locate that part in there. My bad.
As for sleeving the block, I wanted to run high boost so I figured that would strengthen its integrity. Is that wrong? Also, any input on the 1st part of my question regarding the various vac lines and bypass lines, iacv, Fitv, and ecu tuning?

·
4,052 Posts
do. a. search. its. been. covered.

·
4,052 Posts
enjoy your stay

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
hahahahahaha are you serious?
I think he really is.

I just love it when they say they want a race car that there going to fully build, but dont even know how to change a spark plug lol.....

@Kmc2106

Remove stuff till the car no longer works.

·
Registered
EM1, EJ1, EJ1
12 Posts
Lol sadly yes. I appreciate ur reply. I do have a Haynes manual and it's real good but I couldn't locate that part in there. My bad.
As for sleeving the block, I wanted to run high boost so I figured that would strengthen its integrity. Is that wrong? Also, any input on the 1st part of my question regarding the various vac lines and bypass lines, iacv, Fitv, and ecu tuning?
My question is when you say race? Are you referring to drag racing or on a track?

Don't know much about drag racing setups, however on track I can help you out if needed. If you're planning on tracking the car, the one thing I can suggest is to not go turbo. Not many D series turbo setups get through a 20 minute session before overheating begins to happen.

Plus depending on your experience, far easier to learn how to drive fast in a slow car versus trying to learn with a "built" car. Not too mention when a car is "built" before you have experience. You really have no idea as to what the car really needs. So majority of the modifications can actually hinder your cars ability to corner.

·
Registered
honda coupe
169 Posts
We where all noobs at one time. To OP what I use to do was go to junkyard the pull shit apart to learn because I had no one to teach me. You don't need to resleeve. Check out vitara builds. They are a bit overrated now but for the best bang per $$$ you can't really beat a vitara build. Most guys make 400+ whp on stock sleeves. Resleeving will just waste your money. But it all falls down primarily to what your building it for? Drag only, street and weekend worrior, which is what most come on here to ask about, or auto crossing? Try not to get on ppls bad side here. Lots of flamers here and ppl who want to be right all the time. Some have reasons to flame and some are like those bitchy customers who find reasons to get mad. Hope this thread will get somewhere positive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey I appreciate u understanding where I'm coming from. I'm considered a noob but I have mechanical aptitude having been around cars and repair shops for about 15 yrs now. I'm 37 so I'm no kid. Just trying to get a grasp on some of this stuff. When I say "race", I mean more drag than anything but it's going to be more of a summer/fair weather car. Probably take it off the road in the winter months and garage it. Anyway, I was under the assumption that if I have the block sleeved it increases strength therefore allowing for higher boost pressure. I was planning on having the crank shaved and balanced and running cp Pistons 9:1, crower or Carrillo rods, and ferrea/crower valvetrain. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Do some digging in the showcase thread and find a build with a similar amount of hp or something that's close to your goals.

I don't see why sleeving a block is pointless as some say. If you have the money and wanna sleeve it, than have at it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts