·
Registered
5,015 Posts
nope!

My motor

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
yup its a y8 with just boltons. it should have survived no problem, oil was changed religiously at 3000 with mobil1 full syn. maintenance was top notch and everything was keept in tip top shape.

it doesnt happen to all y series motors but if you have a choice of either starting with a y or a z6/a6/d15b vtec go with the older motors they ARE more reliable under the conditions people who tune their cars drive them.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
um aftermarket bearings. I dunno the npr kit with pm7's= teh sex
its not the bearings its that the y8 oil pump puts out about 25-30% less oil then the older D motors.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
endyn has a fix for that
true and it requires you to tare your motor down and replace the oil pump lol.

if your already in the process of building it its not a problem. just costs you an extra what 200 bucks?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
i hope that don't happen to my d. i do plan on modding the oil pump, and getting stronger rods in the future, that should help it somewhat

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
just throwing this out there but ...

it may not be an oil pump issue. a previous engine that i have worked on (ford's 2.5ltr Duratec, from the cougars and Contours, and ford's 3.0ltr duratecs, taurus and escape) seemed to get spun bearings often. The problem wasn't the oil pump itself, but the oil pickup tube, the oil pan, and a slight left hand turn.

The oil pan did not allow the oil to return into the bottom quick enough. the location of the oil pickup was such that if you drove the car in a slightly left hand turn at higher speed the oil pickup would become uncovered and suck up air. this made it so not enough oil made it to the #6 rod bearing and thus it would spin. Ford redesigned the oil pickup, oil pan, cylinder head, windage tray, dipstick tube, oil drainbacks in the block, and increase the amount of oil from ~5.5 to ~6.0 qts to fix this problem. Ford did not redesgin the oil pump, so maybe we are looking at the wrong item. i am not saying that the oil pump's volume is ok, just that the pump's volume may not be the only cause

1 - 14 of 14 Posts