Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a D16y8 and my oil pressure is spot on at a cold start and for about 10-15 minutes of driving, but after the motor warms up and I'm guessing the oil thins out a bit oil pressure drops and drops. Is that normal for oil pressure to drop when the oil thins out or after a while of driving? It seems dangerously low after 20 minutes of driving and further.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
whats the psi and does the factory light come on?

Its also gauge depend tho.
I get aronud 90-100psi on cold start.
Then after driving and its all warm up i will get 5-10psi at idle which is normal and then 40psi aronud 3k and 10+ pre 1k rpm.

I have even heard of people gauges reading 0psi at idle.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whats the psi and does the factory light come on?

Its also gauge depend tho.
I get aronud 90-100psi on cold start.
Then after driving and its all warm up i will get 5-10psi at idle which is normal and then 40psi aronud 3k and 10+ pre 1k rpm.

I have even heard of people gauges reading 0psi at idle.
Thats exactly what mine is reading. I thought opperating temp was suppose to be around 40psi at idle or so. Thats why I was thinking something was wrong. Once all heated up its at around 2-7psi idle and around 85 at cold start. so maybe thats normal and its just my gauge. I have a glow shift gauge, so not the best.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My Y8 is at 85psi cold and is at 15-20psi at idle, after being driven an hour.

50psi while cruising at 55

80psi at WOT

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Thats exactly what mine is reading. I thought opperating temp was suppose to be around 40psi at idle or so. Thats why I was thinking something was wrong. Once all heated up its at around 2-7psi idle and around 85 at cold start. so maybe thats normal and its just my gauge. I have a glow shift gauge, so not the best.
Glow shift gauges are great so don't knock them. I've used them for over 6yrs and never had a probolem.

Also here is the oil specs.

But yea your oil is within specs

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a glowshift gauge too and cold it has 80+ and warm it idles between 2-8, I'm switching to a mechanical gauge soon, electric gauges will never be as accurate as mechanical ones.
Ok good. Sounds like I'm in the clear. I was thinking I had an issue with low pressure, but sounds like thats a normal reading for that electric gauge. Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have another question regarding oil pressure. When vtec kicks is it normal for oil pressure to all of a sudden drop 15-20 psi?

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
I have another question regarding oil pressure. When vtec kicks is it normal for oil pressure to all of a sudden drop 15-20 psi?
it should drop some but idk about that much.

but the vtec uses oil pressure

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it should drop some but idk about that much.

but the vtec uses oil pressure
Yea, because I was having vtec kick off around 7300 rpm and the solenoid shut off until I restart the car. I was thinking it was because the oil pressure got too low at high rpm and shut it off. It stays around 40-45 after vtec engages and stays there all the way up in rpm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts