Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i have the oppurtunity to pick up a jrsc for relatively cheap, but its off a y8 and i have a z6. before anything else, will it work?...and if so, what all do i have to look out for?....i know i can instal myself of course, but what all is needed besides the obvious things? i believe hes got the jrsc fmu and a boost timing controller, but will i NEED further tuning other than that? or would that just be "recomended"? i know everyones gona say just turbo it but im sure i wana supercharge my DD....any help is greatly appreciated guys!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
it will fit, does it come with the new belt, and what pulley size is on it? i think you will also need to change your injectors. also a good idea is to get 1 or 2 step colder plugs

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes it comes with the belt, but is not BRAND NEW and i believe its got the stock 6lb? pulley and im using my stock z6 crank pulley......would the JR fmu be a fine "tune" untill i can actually get it tuned tho?

·
Ferio inspired
2,441 Posts
you can order the z6 high boost pulley, since you need a z6 pulley. you might as well order new idlers too, since they are usually wore the f out.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
ive been running ok withour the tune. with those. but i will spend money down the road for one. It just spits out alot of smoke. but i guess if your is the same it will just do the same w/ out the tuner

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so it'd be safe on stock boost with the stock ecu if i use the jr FMU untill i get it tuned?...thats all im worried about

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
you can chip the ecu for less than 50 bucks yourself or buy one chiped and socketed from a local vendor on here for around 150-200 injectors can be had on ebay for 50-100 bucks crome is free but tuning it yourself not a good idea unless you know what your doing so figure in some dyno time or local tuner time and you can do the injector resistor install yourself for about 20 bones and run stock fuel pump. as others have stated fmu on turbos are bad i cant see where they would be any better for the jrsc but i dont know i dont have one nor do i know anyone with one. my .02spend 100-400 and do it right since its your dd why make it unreliable?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
There are also plenty of .bin's available but remember every car is different so tuning is vital

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im just worried about driving it on the FMU for about a week untill i can get it tuned correctly so chipped ecu and tuned on crome?..y not hondata or any of the other options? would i need the JR map sensor as well?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
some ppl run new map sensors some dont. its really your call do you want to see a cel? runthe fmu at your own risk maybe the jr one will be better than some of the others and it will run for a week for ya maybe not just use caution running it try not to make positive boost pressure. you can use hondata crome or uberdata any of them will work its up to you whichever you think is easier to use. most ppl are using crome for its ease of use and the abundance of ppl who know how to use it. pretty user friendly.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
try not to make positive boost pressure.
its belt not load driven !! so isnt it gonnnna make boost. isnt thats whats so awesome abuot s/c. the boost it makes down low...so if so no way to stay outa boost

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well im not goin out of my way for the fmu, the guy is giving it to me with the charger ....and i want to instal in my garage and drive like an hr down the road to get dyno tuned....the fmu isnt sumthing im spending money on, i just think i would be alot better off using the fmu untill i get dyno tuned that i would be NOT using the fmu and TRYING to drive on stock ecu

·
Registered
391 Posts
You'll be fine with the JR FMU setup for awhile. Is the fuel enrichment relay included in the kit you bought (looks like a Bosch style relay)? I drove with the FMU for several months without problems. It'll make you run rich, but rich is safer. I had a wild idea of putting the FMU back, loading in a stock fuel map into my s300, stock injectors back in, and datalogging a little to see how the FMU ran. Maybe a project in the future if I'm allowed to upgrade my DD.

Stock MAP is fine. You run stock injectors with an FMU/stock ECU JRSC setup.

BTC is an easy install and worth it if you're not going a chipped ECU anytime soon.

Hondata and JR have a pretty good relationship. Their pre-tuned basemap for a JRSC on a D16z6 is pretty spot on. It's almost drop-in-and-drive and conservative enough to take into account minor variations between engines, as long as you're stock in everything else. Throw in a few mods, and you'll need to tune yourself back into the zone.

VERY hard to keep yourself out of boost with a S/C. You'll essentially be at <15% throttle or so. JR designed the stock S/C with an FMU to be pretty reliable. It's not the best, and you'll be drinking a bit more fuel, but it's safe until you can get an ECU based fuel management solution.

·
Registered
391 Posts
well im not goin out of my way for the fmu, the guy is giving it to me with the charger ....and i want to instal in my garage and drive like an hr down the road to get dyno tuned....the fmu isnt sumthing im spending money on, i just think i would be alot better off using the fmu untill i get dyno tuned that i would be NOT using the fmu and TRYING to drive on stock ecu
Hehe - u posted before I got mine up there.

The FMU is fine, and designed for the stock ECU (with a fuel enrichment relay), until you can get a modified ECU in there.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alright, kool. so whats the "best" way as far as tuning tho?...just get a socketed and chipped ecu/get mine socketed and chipped? and then wat?...idk how to use crome/hondata etc. or how to burn chips so what do i do next?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts