Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 civic si
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I'm new to the forum here but I think somebody here might me able to answer my question. Is it possible to take the internals from a Y8 head and put them into the BODY of a y7 head. And would you lose VTEC in doing so? I've got a Y8 head with great internals but has 2 snapped valve cover bolts in it which a friend of mine tried to extract and failed then attempted to drill and tap it and fucked it up big time. He ended up buying a new head and gave this one to me. I've got a y7 head with not the best internals but it still works so I'm wondering will the two mate, could I just take the camshaft and rock armer assembly and valve springs and blah blah blah out of the Y8 and throw them in the y7 and would it work the same?

·
Registered
99 civic si
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was just thinking this might be a cheaper solution than taking the y8 head to a machine shop seeing as I have both right here

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
A Y7 head will not be able to have Vtec. Cheaper is a relative term, you may be able to swap all that stuff over but then to get it to run properly you would need to spend more money like an ECU and other small things.

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
No.. you can not take the cam tower from the y8 n bolt to the y7.. if you do that you may aswell swap main caps n rod caps too..

what do you mean "Not the best internals?"
do you mean valvetrain?
springs and valves?

also the non vetec head is not drilled and tapped for the vetec solinoid.

·
Premium Member
88 RT4WD wagon
227 Posts
i guess you could potentially lock the pins and do it. not sure how well all of that would work. ive gone the other direction before though

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Most ppl that care to bother swap y7 top gear onto y8 head, as they "flow better" but upon starting the project myself it looks like the same ports so idk bout that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts