Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You will need a y8 throlte body and y8 idle motor. Because the idle motors on the back of the y8 intake. Where your y7 has it on the tb. You can use your y7 tb but you'll need a throlte rotor(the part where the throlte cable hooks to the tb) off a y8 or a b16 and block off the idle motor port on the y8 im. Is your car 5 speed or auto? Is this y8 im off a 5 speed car or auto car?

·
sub-sponsor
5,175 Posts
you need fuel injectors rail vacum hoses throttle body etc not sure but you might need a new throttle cable not sure

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My car is a 5 speed, but I'm not sure what this intake manifold is off of. Is there a big difference between auto and standard manifolds?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yes, their is. Auto's usually have problems to the IACV location being on the Tb

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
2,469 Posts
slprcivic said:
My car is a 5 speed, but I'm not sure what this intake manifold is off of. Is there a big difference between auto and standard manifolds?
an auto d16y8 manifold will NOT have the spot for an idle air control valve (IACV). a manual manifold will.

if it's a manual mani, you will need a 2-wire iacv to atleast cover the holes on the back of the manifold, even if you don't use the two-wire iacv.

there are a few write-ups about this swap, but for sure you need a regular throttle rotor to replace the one you have on your y7 tb since now the tb will be positioned differently and the throttle cable will be pulling from a different spot. a good donor rotor can come from a throttle body of say...a LS/z6/y8/b16. You can use your rail and injectors, they are fine. i cant tell from the picture but you might need a throttle cable bracket from a z6/y8...

i suggest you look for the write up, i believe 'axel' did it.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The manifold is from a manual 98 Civic EX. I have a 97 Civic DX. So I'll need a Y8 throttle body right? The guy selling it to me said that the IACV I have would fit on the manifold. Should the rest just bolt up?

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
2,469 Posts
slprcivic said:
The manifold is from a manual 98 Civic EX. I have a 97 Civic DX. So I'll need a Y8 throttle body right? The guy selling it to me said that the IACV I have would fit on the manifold. Should the rest just bolt up?
you need a 2-wire back of manifold type iacv OR a block off plate to cover the holes on the back of the 98 Civic EX manual manifold. the iacv your dx uses is a 3-wire throttlebody mounted type. you do not need a y8 throttle body, you need to take your y7 TB and use that, however, because the angle of the TB and throttle cable actuation is different when you mount it on the y8 mani, you need to obtain a throttle rotor from a z6 or y8 or similar direction throttle body to swap onto your y7 tb.

your ecu will only recognize the 3-wire iacv, it is not compatible w/ a 2-wire

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, so I need a two-wire back of a manifold, that's off a Y8 right? And also, you're saying I have to get a different ecu as well? Is the ecu also off the Y8's?

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
2,469 Posts
slprcivic said:
Alright, so I need a two-wire back of a manifold, that's off a Y8 right? And also, you're saying I have to get a different ecu as well? Is the ecu also off the Y8's?
nonono...the y7 ecu is fine IF you keep the y7 throttle body, since it has the 3-wire iacv on it and that ecu can ONLY run that type of IACV. you need to get the 2-wire iacv from say a y8 only to serve the purpose of blocking off the holes that are chilling on the back ofthat manifold you are looking to buy

basically, in simple terms, if you want to upgrade the throttle body, you need to get an ecu that can run a normal 2-wire iacv, which is pretty much any other honda ecu lol....

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes you need a y8 idle motor to block the holes in the back of the y8 manifold. You will use your y7 ecu,fuel rail,injector, and throttle body. But need a y8,z6,ls or b16 throttle rottor which you will put on your y7 tb. This will let you use your stock throttle cable.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, let's see if I got this straight. I need to get a IACV (idle motor) from a Y8 for sure. IF I'm going to keep my Y7 throttle body, I need a throttle rotor from a Y8, Z6, LS, or any B16. That's pretty much it, right? So now, which way is better? Keep the Y7 or upgrade to the Y8 throttle body?

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
2,469 Posts
slprcivic said:
Alright, let's see if I got this straight. I need to get a IACV (idle motor) from a Y8 for sure. IF I'm going to keep my Y7 throttle body, I need a throttle rotor from a Y8, Z6, LS, or any B16. That's pretty much it, right? So now, which way is better? Keep the Y7 or upgrade to the Y8 throttle body?
keep the y7. it will make life ALOT easier lol...

if you were to upgrade, you would want to IMO upgrade to a type-r TB or some other 62mm+ throttle body.

but for now, just keep the y7 TB. you are not at the point with your build where it will make a difference...enjoy the y8 manifold.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh yeah, one other thing. I don't believe I could use my stock intake on this Y8 manifold. So if I wanted to go with a AEM V2 intake, would I have to purchase one with the 1996-1998 Honda Civic EX -D16Y8- specifications?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm having the same thing done to my car tomorrow, i'll let u know how it goes :bigrofl:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts