Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would I need to install a Y8 IM on my Z6? I've heard that the Z6 fuel rail wont work with a Y8 IM. Please help me with this I've looked for Hours for a answer and have came up with nothing, Thanks!

·
Registered
605 Posts
the fuel rail wont fit u will need a y8 fuel rail

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
No body can prove beyond a margin of error that the Y8 flows more. Seriously a little casting differance between 2 of the same casting type can show one being better than the other.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the fuel rail wont fit u will need a y8 fuel rail
Thanks!

its best to use the whole y8 IM thats what i've heard!!!
X2!

what yove heard is wrong lol... z6 best for anything cept y8... y8 belongs ON y8
What do you mean by this? The Y8 IM is the best of all oem SOHC IM's for n/a power.

No body can prove beyond a margin of error that the Y8 flows more. Seriously a little casting differance between 2 of the same casting type can show one being better than the other.
WTF you dont make sinces. the Z6 and Y8 IM dont have the same castings.
All I wanted to know is what I needed to install a Y8 im on a Z6 head!

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
i read somewhere showing dyno numbers between a z6 and y8 mani on a z6 motor.. and the z6 mani made more power

·
Registered
6 Posts
For those of you who want OEM IM, the D16Y8, often referred to as the Type R manifold for the D series. It has somewhat short and fat runners and a large chamber to allow the air to distribute to each cylinder properly.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
then why does cylinder #3 run so lean?

Z6 intake FTW......

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have heard that the y8 moves your powerband up higher in the rev range - but that the z6 seems to flow better. i have yet to see any sort of charts that prove this but it's what i have heard.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
I had a Y8 IM sitting in my garage for awhile. When I bought a Z6 IM off of here, I looked at them side-by-side and could honestly say the Z6 looked better. Sure, the Y8 has the cool and fat plenum but the runners weren't any bigger nor were they any straighter.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
I won't name all my sources, but a Y8 intake requires 10% more fuel on cylinder #3, something FEW tuning setups can do.......

You end up LOOSING power to protect #3 by running rich on 1-2-4......

But what do I know.......I'm just a over the hill almost 40 yo ******* who doesn't have a clue.........

but getting 35-40 whp extra out of a stock bottom end BEFORE bumping the compression, wait until the burn happens.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
not trying to thread jack here but i just bought a skunk2 IM for a y8, but i have a z6 head. the only reason i did it is because it is barely used and was only $130.

anyway, are the skunk2 IMs aftermarket design the same for the z6 and y8 or are the same differences still evident from the stock designs between the two of them?

You end up LOOSING power to protect #3 by running rich on 1-2-4......

this worries me if skunk2 keeps the same design concept between the two manifolds on their aftermarket IM. i'm hoping that the designs are the same!

also, the same goes for the y8 fuel rail on the skunk2 manifold for the y8 correct? i already purchased a y8 fuel rail and regulator, but if the designs are the exact same, i was wondering if the z6 fuel rail would work.

thanks

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
...are the skunk2 IMs aftermarket design the same for the z6 and y8 or are the same differences still evident from the stock designs between the two of them?
I have an Y8 Edelbrock on my Z6. TA sensor and Purge-cut solenoid are different between the two.
Because I couldn't get an Y8 parts here in Norway, I just got a little creative.
No real problem though.

this worries me if skunk2 keeps the same design concept between the two manifolds on their aftermarket IM. i'm hoping that the designs are the same!
Probably not, but who knows...

also, the same goes for the y8 fuel rail on the skunk2 manifold for the y8 correct? i already purchased a y8 fuel rail and regulator, but if the designs are the exact same, i was wondering if the z6 fuel rail would work.
You'll have to use the fuel rail for the manifold for a direct fit. Bolts are aligned differently.If not you'll have to drill holes and stuff... Just go with the one from the manifold :TU:

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
I have an Y8 Edelbrock on my Z6. TA sensor and Purge-cut solenoid are different between the two.
Because I couldn't get an Y8 parts here in Norway, I just got a little creative.
No real problem though.

Probably not, but who knows...

You'll have to use the fuel rail for the manifold for a direct fit. Bolts are aligned differently.If not you'll have to drill holes and stuff... Just go with the one from the manifold :TU:
right on, thanks for the help man.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts