Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm trying to time my freshly built vitara d16. I'm running z6 block with a y8 head. Inside the head I have a z6 cam the comp59300 with a y8 AEM adjustable cam gear.

Has anyone done a setup similar to this and what did you set your cam gear to for correct timing? I’ve read 4.5 degrees retarded but not sure if this is right. Would I be better off just throwing a stock z6 gear on there?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,289 Posts
match the cam to the cam gear.

find a z6 cam and use your y8 gear to match , then from there, down the road if you chose, you can mess with cam timing

Reactions: robgoof

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
match the cam to the cam gear.

find a z6 cam and use your y8 gear to match , then from there, down the road if you chose, you can mess with cam timing
It is a z6 cam. What do you mean by match the cam to the cam gear and then find a z6 cam and use my y8 gear?

·
5,289 Posts
z6 cam needs a z6 cam gear. if you have an adjustable y8, you can use that to mimic a z6 and get your timing there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
z6 cam needs a z6 cam gear. if you have an adjustable y8, you can use that to mimic a z6 and get your timing there.
Oh okay I gotcha now haha I'm just going to pick up a stock z6 gear and use that. Sell this aem y8 adjustable as they're known to break lol

·
5,289 Posts
did you get a cam card?

·
5,289 Posts
welp. run it stock timing then. unless you get the cam card to time it by comp's spec

·
Registered
'93 / '95 Del Sol Si - '95 DX Coupe - '98 Civic Hatch - '00 Accord EX F23 Manual
2,280 Posts
put on the stock obd1 gear and line it up to z6 mark.
then maybe slip on aem without moving anything .
This.
This is exactly how I "calibrate" all aftermarket cam gears. No matter how "good" the company is, I've found that 99% of adjustable cam gears are out of spec with the stock gear they based them off of.

Using the original / stock cam gear after any serious engine work takes 99% of the bullshit out of it. Mark the "top tooth"..Then slide the timing belt off, slip the adjustable cam gear on exactly on the same spot but keep the actual "cam key" area of the gear loose. Line it up with the cam and it should be exactly as the original cam gear was. I've found most cam gears to be 2* - 8* off from what they should have been. If they are off, take a close-up photo of how far off it is so you have a reference of what "zero" actually is.

In OP's case, he should use a Z6 gear as stated and then throw the adjustable on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts