Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
is it hard to put the y8 head on a z6 block. i spun a rod bearing on the y8 and threw a z6 in my 98 but i cant get it to run at all. wondering if the y8 intake mani wont work on the z6 head since i cant get the darn motor to run. changed everything to obd1 with a p28 ecu and conversion harness. im runnin out of money and patience with this car any help would be awsome. some info to go with it. i have the y8 intake mani on the z6 and the z6 has the obd1 z6 dizzy thats been depinned and matched back up, p28 ecu, obd1 to obd2 harness conversion everythings plugin in as far as plugs and all fuses good. have fuel to the rail not 100% sure on spark since. please any help would be sweet.

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
Did u get the obd2a to obd1 conv harness or the obd2b to obd1 conv harness? Not sure if that will cause ur symptoms but worth throwin out there

·
Registered
1995 Civic Coupe'
56 Posts
the y8 head needs a y8 dizzy and if you converted it to obd1 put it back to obd2 i have a z6 head on a y8 block and z6 dizzy and obd1 with p29 pistons :) the cam gear has a different amount of teeth on the y8 head than the z6 head so u need the dizzy to match and if u dont have the money for a y8 dizzy then try to find one out of a junkyard n replace the guts into ur z6 dizzy....just buy a new dizzy from kingdistibutors.com lifetime warranty

·
Registered
civic
451 Posts
the y8 head needs a y8 dizzy and if you converted it to obd1 put it back to obd2 i have a z6 head on a y8 block and z6 dizzy and obd1 with p29 pistons :) the cam gear has a different amount of teeth on the y8 head than the z6 head so u need the dizzy to match and if u dont have the money for a y8 dizzy then try to find one out of a junkyard n replace the guts into ur z6 dizzy....just buy a new dizzy from kingdistibutors.com lifetime warranty
really? where did you read this or you know from experience? my z6 cam gear has a 39 tooth count, and my y8 has 39 as well... just aking not busting your balls or anything...

·
Registered
107 Posts
umm, from what i read i am seeing that he says he threw in a z6 motor. i would say to check the grounds, and your wiring to the dizzy of course. are you throwin any codes while it is cranking?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what do you mean the z6 dizzy was depinned?
pulled the pins outta the harness on the dizzy side on the z6 repinned it into the obd2 from the y8 dizzy so its still the obd2 harness. but the two bigger wires didnt set back in so theyre spliced together. more and more i think about it im guessin we put it back together wrong. we labled the wire colors from the y8 dizzy and put the same colors in the same spot with the z6 wires. i know kinda confusing. all the ground wires are hooked up and tightned up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jus for a second when i turn the key to the on position. like it would before id start it normal. nothing while im tryin to crank it tho.

·
Registered
1993 Honda delSol Si
232 Posts
I'm not sure what your problem is, but it sounds like you did something funky with the distributor. Do you have compression? I've a y8 head and intake manifold mated with a z6 block before, but that was in my 93. It ran fine with the obd1 wiring harness and z6 dizzy.

·
Registered
94 civic, 90 talon
1,943 Posts
pulled the pins outta the harness on the dizzy side on the z6 repinned it into the obd2 from the y8 dizzy so its still the obd2 harness. but the two bigger wires didnt set back in so theyre spliced together. more and more i think about it im guessin we put it back together wrong. we labled the wire colors from the y8 dizzy and put the same colors in the same spot with the z6 wires. i know kinda confusing. all the ground wires are hooked up and tightned up.
I think depinning is way more of a head ache then just splicing the z6 harness to the y8 dizzy. The wire colors and pins on the plugs were all the same. This is what I did last night. Crappy cell phone pic, but it may help.

jus for a second when i turn the key to the on position. like it would before id start it normal. nothing while im tryin to crank it tho.
So the engine is cranking and not firing? You need to check for fuel and spark. Just unbolt the regulator some till you see fuel and stick a screw driver into a plug wire and let it arc on the valve cover.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Are you saying that you spliced the big Blue (Engine Speed Output) and big Blk/Yel (Ignition Input) wires together? Or are you just saying that you bypassed the plug, and hard wired the 2 wires from the distributor to the 2 matching wires on the engine harness?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you saying that you spliced the big Blue (Engine Speed Output) and big Blk/Yel (Ignition Input) wires together? Or are you just saying that you bypassed the plug, and hard wired the 2 wires from the distributor to the 2 matching wires on the engine harness?
bypassed the plug wired it straight from the dizzy to the wire harness. another thing is will the y8 plugs work in the z6 motor we didnt get new plugs for the z6 motor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts