Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 hatch that I am race. I got it cheap because it has something not right. it has a d16y7 with a y8 head that will run great for 3 laps than I will get a dead pedal. I push the clutch in let it idle down and I can 3 more laps and have to do it again. When that happens I get a tdc/crank sensor code. Changed the the crank sensor had 3 different dizzy in it. With no change. It has the y8 ECU and engine harness.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
what do you mean, dead pedal? you lose power? or it stops responding to throttle input?

I would grab a cheap bluetooth scanner adapter (search elm327) and find a spare bluetooth enabled android phone or tablet, and watch the data when it acts up.

Do your basic checks. mechanical timing. ignition timing. spark plugs. battery grounding. harness grounding (look at thermostat ground especially).

I sounds like it can also be heat related. maybe a sensor reachs too hot of a temp, and goes willy nilly til it cools off.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,743 Posts
Has the TSB for the wiring been looked at?

VSS signal will do weird things as well, like loosing VTEC...key cycle to get it back.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dead pedal=I hit the gas and get nothing.
It seems as if the injectors are being shut off. I still have good fuel pressure when it happens. Would it help to put a chipped ECU in it?
I have put 2 y8 complete engine harnesses in it with no change.

·
Registered
Integra DB9
445 Posts
I don't see that a chipped ECU would help unless you think you have an ECU problem now. I imagine that the ECU you've got is OK, but it's getting a spurious signal.

Can you borrow a like-for-like standard ECU and try that first?

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
the timing belt can be loose as a goose, as long as it doesnt jump timing, it will have no effect.

If it feels like its fuel cut, I expect the ecu is triggering limp mode.

Check out what honda says in the manual for triggering limp mode.

My first guess/step would be to check out the oil pump mounted crank sensor

dirt cheap on ebay, throw one on and find out.

EDIT since you already tried this, try throwing the suspected good one(s) into another y7 or y8 car and see if it still works.

OR you just might have to go OBD1 distributor, wire up the crank bypass, and grab an OBD converter harness for the distributor.

That would totally eliminate the external crank sensor and use the internal one of the OBD1 distributor

strange problem for sure!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you I am almost sure I am going to go obd1. After all my research and reading. What obd1 ECU would be ideal along with what dizzy?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts