Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Civic
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to bolt a y8 head on my boosted y7 block. wandering if there any mods I need to make to the block in order for vetec to work. Any advise would be sweet. thanks

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
depending on the chassis its going into there might be some slight mods. also i dont remember if there was the oil restrictor on the block of my y7 when i did this. if there is then remove it and apply the y8 head. again depending on what car this is going into there "might" be some mods needed

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
if its an OBDII chassis than no there is no mods needed. Just bolt on and wire up VTEC

·
Well?
10,814 Posts

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,664 Posts
Yes, you need to first remove the Y7 head.
he's asking if he needs to make any changes to the block.

I'm looking into this too, as far as I know, no modification is required.
I got the question. There's nothing you have to do to the block except take the Y7 head off of it. I say this with 100% certainty.

·
Registered
2000 Civic
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info. To clear up a few things, it's an EK sedan, with stock bottom end, arp head studs, comtek head gasket, air research t-3 turbo, dsm injectors, and factory ecu/tune (for now). I think I do remember seeing an oil block off plug in the block when I had the head off last. In the corner by where the v-tec solinoid gose. Thanks again, the heads at the machine shop right now. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm pretty sure, when you remove the y7 head... You're going to have to remove the oil jet plug on the y7 block to allow for the vtec to engage. And you've probably already switched from 3-wire IACV to 2-wire, so no need to go there.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,664 Posts
Third time's a charm

I'm pretty sure, when you remove the y7 head... You're going to have to remove the oil jet plug on the y7 block to allow for the vtec to engage. And you've probably already switched from 3-wire IACV to 2-wire, so no need to go there.
I'll say this for the third time...

1.) Remove Y7 head.
2.) Remove head gasket.
3.) Install new gasket.
4.) Bolt on Y8 head

There is nothing, nada, gar nichts, zippo, that you need to do to the Y7 block before putting on a Y8 head. I'm not pretty sure - I'm fucking positive.

There is no oil jet on the Y7 block.

Hello, MacFly??!!! :hammer:

[/thread]

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I'm pretty sure, when you remove the y7 head... You're going to have to remove the oil jet plug on the y7 block to allow for the vtec to engage.
:bigrofl:

wrong newbster

There is nothing, nada, gar nichts, zippo, that you need to do to the Y7 block before putting on a Y8 head. I'm not pretty sure - I'm fucking positive.
he is 10000000% correct. the oil jet is in the head, its under the middle cam cap. ;) :TU:

·
Registered
'98 Hatch
437 Posts
i picked up a full mini me y7/y8 block from a friend working fine off an eg. it was going in to my ek but a friend on d-series gave me a y8 bare bottom block [no crank, pistons, rods]. should i put the y8 head over the y8 block? i was told y7 bottom internals go over right? planning to just go n/a with slight power. any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts