Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here's my dillema. i have oil in my coolant. im almost 100% sure its due to a warped head, and now blown head gasket. the car is running fine right now, but its using 3qts in about 3 1/2 days or so, and oil is deffinately in the coolant system.

i have a stock EG cx hatch. so far the motor isn't overheating(thank god!). my friend has a Y8 head ready to go, but im still confused on what is needed for swapping it over. i've done research on many honda forums, but all i come up w/ is swapping a D16Z6 head and what's needed for that.

my questions:

1. what timing belt do i need?
2. what head gasket do i need(trying to keep decently lower comp.)?
3. what distributor do i need?
4. anything else?

i have a D15 vtec intake mani that i'm swapping on as well when i do so, plus i'll have to port my stock exhaust manifold to match(also for turboing later).

i'll wire for vtec sooner then later so i'll run a P28 if i can find one for a decent price, but for right now im not worried about engaging vtec.

thanks for help in advance fellas!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i do believe that when i removed the head, the pistons had 4 reliefs in them. i take it that if not, i'd have to get a better block and or motor to do so? whatever i need to do is cool. i just want some info on it.

if my motor in fact does have the correct pistons to do so, back up to the questions at hand.

·
Registered
166 Posts
you'll need a z6/y7/y8 timing belt.

a z6/y8 HG.

the head bolt...i'm not too sure, but when i did my d15b2/z6 mini me i used the z6 head bolt...if i recalled right, not too sure about your situation

i think the b7 dizzy fits onto the y8 head, it might be the same dizzy as your b8...not 100% sure though

you also might want to get an adjustable cam gear to fix the timing

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^thanks bigtime for the help! its much appreciated.

in the end, i think that im kinda screwed. by friend thinks that there's only 2 reliefs per piston on each side. now im going to have to get a new motor. bah!

i'll still log this down for the future.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you know what, thats a great idea! that should give me time to collect parts, and in my situation, i have to get my MR2 back on the road before i put the civic down for some time.

if thats the case, i might buy my friends Y8 block(bad oil pump failure) and the head to go w/ it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
you know what, thats a great idea! that should give me time to collect parts, and in my situation, i have to get my MR2 back on the road before i put the civic down for some time.

if thats the case, i might buy my friends Y8 block(bad oil pump failure) and the head to go w/ it.
ditch the block, just take the head and IM if it comes with it.

what kind of MR2 do you have? my brother has a mr2 turbo, that shit hauls ass! i think it was a 92 or 93....not sure, but it's fast! he got it to hit high 12s.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts