Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use an Y8 head casting with y7 rocker arm and non-vtec cam ? I thought about it, because intake port on y8 are larger, and combustion chambers are smaller and square style.

Can I do it ? and what about oil pressure vofr vtec and everything ?

thank you !!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Hmm... seems like it MIGHT work... You could just leave the vtec solenoid on and never activate it. It would keep all the oil lines blocked properly.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
WHy would you want to do this? Vtec cams are way more agressive than non vtec. Duration is like 30 more. Correct me if im wrong though.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Stock, yes maybe. But, once you get into custom/aftermarket camshafts, it doesn't matter. If it's a race engine where you don't even use the non-VTEC lobe on the VTEC engine, you're freeing up some drag and valvetrain weight by switching to the non-VTEC rocker arms.

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stock, yes maybe. But, once you get into custom/aftermarket camshafts, it doesn't matter. If it's a race engine where you don't even use the non-VTEC lobe on the VTEC engine, you're freeing up some drag and valvetrain weight by switching to the non-VTEC rocker arms.
True, and non vtec cam allow better low end torque. Much A6 and y7 have better torque curve, and nice HP too. Nice lumpy idle.

I already have y7 setup and already obd1 tuned, I want some little bit higher intake port flow and bump up compression ratio at the same time.

Easy and cheap upgrade.

thank you

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
not worth it IMHO.

Shave .020"-.030" off the Y7 head, get a Bisimoto regring cam and be done.
If the ports are what you are after, you could compare the Y7 and A6 heads - you could definitely throw an A6 head on there, the dizzy would even bolt up. You'd just need new plug wires.

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the ports are what you are after, you could compare the Y7 and A6 heads - you could definitely throw an A6 head on there, the dizzy would even bolt up. You'd just need new plug wires.
A6 head is very different. combustion chambers are huge, port are not bigger than y7, and valve are 1mm smaller. Not worth.

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not worth it IMHO.

Shave .020"-.030" off the Y7 head, get a Bisimoto regring cam and be done.
How much can cost bisimoto cam ?

but y8 have much larger intake ports and combustion chambers are 2 or 4 cc smaller. y7 head ported is really near of stock y8, not much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts