Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I recently bought an 88 crx Si, it has a ZC in it, it runs like shit on idle but runs pretty good @ high rpm, well long story short I found out that it has a JG 301 cam in the ZC and that's why it didn't passed smog and it runs like shit on idle, well my question is, if I were to swap the head for an d16a6 head, you guys think I can use the d16y8 or I gotta stay with the d16a6?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
i would only use the mls z6/y8 gasket the a6 used a carbon composite gasket and it sucks huge balls, plus the little bump im comp is always nice. may i ask why you want to swap the heads?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh so that means that I could use the y8 gasket for that motor? I have an extra head from an d16a6 nd I dnt wanna take the cam off that's why I wann trade the heads, and like I said I'll sell the head with the 301 cam in it...

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
im assuming this is non vtec cause it idles like shit cause my vtec with a 59300 comp cam idles smoother then stock on a stock p28. but anyhow if it is a nonvtec then the only differeance between those heads is the cam its stupid to switch heads just cause you dont like the cam. put the a6 cam in it and sell the jg cam

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
5,468 Posts
Hi there, I recently bought an 88 crx Si, it has a ZC in it, it runs like shit on idle but runs pretty good @ high rpm, well long story short I found out that it has a JG 301 cam in the ZC and that's why it didn't passed smog and it runs like shit on idle, well my question is, if I were to swap the head for an d16a6 head, you guys think I can use the d16y8 or I gotta stay with the d16a6?
Im confused are you asking about the HG??
if so quit being cheap and buy a new one, you should never re-use a HG.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes u can use the y8 head gasket on the motor with that head
Thanx that's the answer I needed, my question was if I can use the y8 gasket on the d16a6 motor, and it runs like shit because I think it needs a lil tuning or something cus the motor feels like is thirsty of gas at idle, cus at high rpm works perfect... thanx for all the input guys....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im confused are you asking about the HG??
if so quit being cheap and buy a new one, you should never re-use a HG.
Am not trying to reuse the head gasket I want to know if I can use a brand new y8 gasket on the d16a6 because am changing heads, I hate the stock head gaskets of the zc or d16a6 or the d15b7 that's why am askin...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im assuming this is non vtec cause it idles like shit cause my vtec with a 59300 comp cam idles smoother then stock on a stock p28. but anyhow if it is a nonvtec then the only differeance between those heads is the cam its stupid to switch heads just cause you dont like the cam. put the a6 cam in it and sell the jg cam
Yeah it is a non vtec motor, you mentioned just swap cams, sounds like a good idea but I just got the car and I would like to change the head gasket aswell, but I take the cam swap as a good ideal, thanx man...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
prob has no tune
that's what I thought, when I got the car the timing was advanced, fuel pressure at 47 due to a fuel pressure regulator, nd idle was at 1200 constant due to the lil screw that stops the throtle butterfly was higher than normal, so when I put everythin to stock specs the car started runnin like crap really rich...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was reading on the engine management and I think I'll pick up an extra pm6 nd play with the tuning part so I can learn and get some experience, thanx for all the input guys, this is deff better than honda-tech....

·
Registered
244 Posts
The best way to learn is to watch the guy who's tuning it and ask questions then.

You might break something accidently

1 - 20 of 20 Posts