Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic Coupe
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a d16y8 and have been reading up on this site for ways to modify it using stock honda parts. one of the things i've come across is upping the compression using pistons from other model d-series motors. however since i eh really know nuttin, im still a bit lost for information.

i'd like the final cr to be either 11.5:1 or 11:1... what sort of petrol am i looking at for each ratio?

also, using the 'flat top d15b' pistons; i need to know something. are these pistons found in the non-vtec model, or the vtec model d15? or is it the same piston both ways?

and... what thickness hg would i need (using the flat tops) to get my cr where i want it?

using the cr calculator has given me some of the info above, but it sometimes confuses me since i dont know too much about the values/variables used, hence my asking the question here, cuz i KNOW that there r ppl here who've done it!

now.. since i'd be up on the CR.. i'd imagine i need a better cam as well....... crower stage 2 or the zex that allows you to rev to 8500 are what im looking at.. not looking for a stage3 cam since i want the car to be uber streetable.. iknow many guys here say the 3 is very streetable, but the extra cost for retainers, springs and the timely tuning is what im concerned about.

i'd be getting tuning done with crome with a vafc and innovative lc1; unless i find a better alternative that is.

anything else i'd need? anything important that i left out?

help appreciated...... thanks.

EDIT: can i up the compression without changing cam? as in up the compression and tune it to run properly; but still make some more power?

·
Registered
Honda Civic Coupe
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i read that post, but finding that piston where i live isnt going to be easy... thas why i asked abt the d15b flat tops-since i can get those.

besides.. that thread goes way too deep into it for me. i need to know what NEED to be done in order to get more compression-so that i dont blow nothin up.

do i NEED a stage 3 cam with 11.2cr? do i NEED a standalone ems? ported head? i nee to know where to start... i dont have $3000 to spend on this build to do it all in one night!

all i've really gotten from that thread so far is that with that much more compression from the pm7's i WILL need to get an engine management system....... and i believe crome is my choice for this.

so i guess the next real question will be - do i neeed a big cam next? or can higher compression with a proper tune suffice? (and not cause damage)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts