Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Civic
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so im totally new to engine building(never assembled one before) and i plan to build a y8 that im picking up tomorrow for boost over winter. I just want some opinions.

#1 the engine im getting has a spun rod bearing. What are my options for fixing the journal if it got chewed up a little bit? I remmeber hearing something about micro polishing. What exactly does that involve and will it work?

#2 the guy im getting the engine from said just to have the journal macined down .010 and get an oversized bearing. Im guessing i will need a micrometer to measure the journal when im done but where will i find the oversized bearing?

just an FYI the build will be using tt rods and vitara pistons. i origianlly planned to just run acl bearings but im starting to think i should go with OEM.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
i wont use a motor with a spun bearing, but thats just me.

for the price of a d-series with cracked ringlands or one that blows smoke, should be cheaper then the work needed to fix that crank right.

you can use acl bearings, lots to with no problems. you just have to check the clearances to make sure they are in spec. i use oem bearings cause thats just how i roll.

·
Registered
98 Civic
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the main reason i plan to use this block to build as opposed to finding another one is just cuz im getting the head for 75 bucks and he only wanted another 25 for the block so i just figure that 100 bucks for a complete motor wasnt bad at all.

·
Registered
435 Posts
if you got a spun bearing and need to oversize OEM is out of the question they dont come in oversize ACl and king make oversize bearing but I wouldnt advise aftermarket bearing get a new crank and run OEM Hond runs a very strict clearence on all rod and main bearing which the after market companys clearences arent so strict but its your choice good luck

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
scrap the block and wait for a good sale. Not worth the time and headache, especially when you can get a different one for not much more.

Just some info though.........y8's have a known tendancy to throw rod bearings because the oil pump doesnt always pump out enough to maintain at high rpms. Check out www.theoldone.com for a DIY on how to upgrade your stock oil pump, or you can even have it sent in for them to do for you. if you are going boost, i highly reccomend looking into this.

good luck

·
Premium Member
civic coupe
7,943 Posts
i reused my y8 (that had a spun rod bearing) I had the crank checked and the cyl walls by a professional beforei decided to use it though!

·
Premium Member
civic coupe
7,943 Posts
if you got a spun bearing and need to oversize OEM is out of the question they dont come in oversize ACl and king make oversize bearing but I wouldnt advise aftermarket bearing get a new crank and run OEM Hond runs a very strict clearence on all rod and main bearing which the after market companys clearences arent so strict but its your choice good luck
clevite makes a oversized honda bearing as well

·
Registered
98 Civic
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i reused my y8 (that had a spun rod bearing) I had the crank checked and the cyl walls by a professional beforei decided to use it though!

yeah i decided against doing it myself. Im gonna have a buddy of mine that runs his own shop deal with the crank and assemble the motor. He has built a countless number of engines and i know he knows his shit so ill trust him with all that stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts