Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a y8 that I am rebuilding and wanted to add some more power to it but have to be able to plug the stock ecu back in and pass emissions. I was going to add Pm6 pistons and arp rod bolts to get some compression. would it be worth trying to put a stg 2 cam in it at the same time? I would be running a tuned ecu when normaly. do you think the stock ecu would run it with out a setting a check engine light ? the emissions check is just a obd2 plug in and checking the monitors and check for smoking. the car is a daily driver and don't want to have to have a spare motor just for emissions check. thanks

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
A "Stage 2" cam is a marketing ploy tool

There is no standard between the cam grinders on what the specs should be

Kinda like back in the good old days when people said they had a "Half race cam" or a three quarters cam

But that actually made sense back then

Now OP.. why will your stock tuned ECU not work? is it not OBD complaint? will the scan tool not read it?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes the stock ecu is obd complaint. i was not sure the stock ecu would run good enough to not throw any codes with more compression and a larger camshaft. i am sure it would not be optimum. as far as a camshaft i know its not worth changing the stock cam if you are not going to bump the compression up some. i will also be cleaning up the ports during the rebuild. i was thinking a crower stg 1 cam or a comp stg 2 cam as i would like to be able to use the stock valve springs. or does someone have a better cam they would suggest ? the setup i have now is gut less because its not tuned and its pissing me off. damn y7 with 3 wire iacv.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts