Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
a bicycle right now
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
put a z6 head onto a y8 bottom end... head had a .020" mill

i was told by my honda guru that i need to advance the camgear 2 degrees to compensate for the mill

how true is this because i dont want to have things kissin each other inside

z6 head has z6 cam and AEM trutime cam gear y8 bottom end has y8 crank rods and pistons.... used an oem honda headgasket

·
Registered
a bicycle right now
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
'97 hatch
438 Posts
Not trying to thread jack, but I'm reading about the same thing because I'm getting ready to do it too.

A .020 mill means you need to advance cam timing roughly 2 degrees, sooo milling means time to pick up an adjustable gear, correct?

Just wanted to hear it from someone who's running this successfully before I pull the trigger on it.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Not trying to thread jack, but I'm reading about the same thing because I'm getting ready to do it too.

A .020 mill means you need to advance cam timing roughly 2 degrees, sooo milling means time to pick up an adjustable gear, correct?

Just wanted to hear it from someone who's running this successfully before I pull the trigger on it.
Good god no! Milling .037-.038 off a head only changes the cam timing by 1 deg not a big deal milling .020. Now, I do not know if putting a z6 head on a y8 block changes cam timing. There are a lot of threads on here about this. SEARCH!

·
Registered
'97 hatch
438 Posts
Wow, good looking out. I've been searching on this and was going off info I got steered toward in a sticky, which a lot of other stuff I read seemed to support.

http://www.d-series.org/forums/naturally-aspirated/15696-head-milling.html
(not the initial conversation, but Transzex's response and the illustration about halfway down page)

For some reason I didn't read on to find that that info had been disproven and cleared up on page2. :uh:

So you've milled mildly and not had to jump through any major hoops to time it properly?

Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Bump for this, ive got a built y8 bottom, looking into cams for next season, most likely going to be going with a full z6 setup.

Maybe luke will chime in, he just had his y8 head ported out like a madman, and it still only flows comparable to a stock z6.....just some food for thought

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Bump for this, ive got a built y8 bottom, looking into cams for next season, most likely going to be going with a full z6 setup.

Maybe luke will chime in, he just had his y8 head ported out like a madman, and it still only flows comparable to a stock z6.....just some food for thought
I am Luke. Hear me speaketh..

Lol actually i don't have much to chime in as far as milling. I only had my head decked 0.005 for flatness.
But yes, z6 heads outflow y8's like woah :yes:

-Luke

1 - 8 of 8 Posts