Honda D Series Forum banner

y8 bogging when warm

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  egcivic 
#1 ·
i just put a y8 into my ek, and it starts out okay theres some valve ticking but it drives sometimes it shakes like its missing with steady gas input.
then once it warms up it really bogs down and it takes forever to get to even 30 mph and the valve ticking gets really loud.
is anyone familiar with a problem like this?

#3 ·
lol funny thing, the ticking has nothing to do with that :p i was so convinced it was valve lash i adjusted it like 5 times :p but it ended up being the head, either the valves or springs. just put on another head and the problem is solved, but the ticking remains.
then i remembered that when i picked up the engine that oil thing that hangs under the crank only had one bolt in it and the sound is coming from the oil pan. car runs great now just the ticking is still there, so i believe that thing is slapping around.
openin it back up tommorow so will know then :)
i initially thought it was timing too and i ended up timing the car a million times too *sigh* i guess i shouldnt trust used engines :p doh
thanks for the help tho

#6 ·
ha ha ha :p i know i was desperate for an engine tho :)
i put the new head on and its running the bogging is completely gone, and i thought the ticking is from that oil tube thingy, but i tightened it up and its still ticking.
when the engine is cold the tick isnt that loud, but when it warms up its very noticeable and it moves with rpm.
i looked around and the noise is coming from the passenger side of the oil pan
when i put a pole there i can hear it through the pole.
but when i put a pole on the block i cant hear it.
im really hoping the engine isnt knocking :*( is there something i can check or do i have to rip the oil pan down and turn the engine and try to find where its coming from?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.