Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
89 civic si, D16A6, Y8 head and IM and TB,....stock Si Pm6 ecu.

Ooops, that title is supposed to be something DOES NOT seem right.

I finally took this out the other day for a test drive. At idle the motor runs smooth, but it sounds a little "tappy", but it sounds kinda hollow, almost like a knock. In gear and driving, the engine feels restrained, or like it is missing from around 1k-2k rpms, then it seems to gather itself and runs smooth and power above about 2200 rpms.

I've gone back and checked the valve clearances, they're good.

The timing i am starting to question, and I'm wondering if there is an inherent issue with this combination. At tdc, the 9&3 o'clock marks are dead even with the top edge of the head. However, the distributor is fully advanced (rotated toward intake manifold) and I am at about -1 degree of the red ignition timing mark. That would leave me to believe the cam timing is slightly retarded.....but it's lined up.

The spark plugs are Y8. The gasoline in the tank is from october 2007, and it is 87 octane, and yes... I am running the stock 89 si ecu. Not exactly the perfect setup, but I'm not doing anything full throttle or high rpms yet.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

·
Registered
Civic
882 Posts
Which cam gear are you using?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I pumped the old 87 gas out of the tank.... put some in my girlfriends cavlier, and filled the mower gas can.

Put in 5 gallons of brand new 93 octane. It drives much better now, the power loss is gone...actually it's driving pretty well. The idle stills seems noisier,... but i can't tell where the sound is coming from.

Cam gear (stock not adjustable) and tbelt are Y8
Diz, injectors, rez box, crank pulley are A6.

In setting the cam timing, I used an engineers scale laying across the top of the head and it was dead on with the 9 o'clock mark. Just seems crazy that the Diz is fully advanced and still short of stock D16A6 ignition timing. Unless the slots are slightly different, or if the two motors run a different ignition.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Get a P28 ECu to engage VTEC, that should help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
According to helms stock ignition timing is:

D16A6 = 18° ±2°

D16Y8 = 12° ±2°

Mine is at about 17°

Guess i should go dial that back a bit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ignition timing.

The ignition timing marks on the crank pulley, there are three of them in a row, a red between 2 white marks.....are those marks +2 and -2 degrees?

If so, then i used an index card and made a new mark at 12° BTDC and set the timing.

I have to take the car in for georgia emissions (to get a tag),.... and was just curious if they would be an advantage one way or the other.

Anybody?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts