Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if you can build your y7 trans to y8 specs? if so what gears are diffrent/carrier? ring and pinion?

·
Registered
417 Posts
the y8 uses a large bearing case while the y7 uses a small one, I have no clue if you can build upon this.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is it easier to convert your y7 to a y8 or just buy a y8 trans and be done with it. this is what i have that i am putting in the car. fully built y8 with h beam rods/srp pistons/lightened crank/sleeved block/fully balanced/lighten flywheel. head-fully ported/o.s. valves/ti retainers/springs/cam/slotted cam gear. i am going to put a turbo on this later and from what i hear the y7 is shifty and blows apart. is this true? any help works for me.thanks

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts
hipochevys said:
is it easier to convert your y7 to a y8 or just buy a y8 trans and be done with it.
Easier?? Hmm...lets think about this, take off a tranny crack it open, swap shit around...OR

Take tranny off, put tranny on...

Its a no brainer, complete swap is easier....and probably cheaper

hipochevys said:
and from what i hear the y7 is shifty and blows apart. is this true? any help works for me.thanks
There are slightly different sized bearing in the y7, however its just as strong as the y8. In fact (and I probably do not represent everyone on this), I see more y8 trannys with internal issues than y7's

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
Ive seen the opposite lately around here.
The y7 has some longer lower gears...and would pull a little bit more in the bottom end.

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
I mean...oops..
the y7 has longer gears...the y8 has the shorter lower gears..there we go..

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
not worth the trouble. Y8 or nothing.

Unless your planning on running 3 miles on the dry salt lake beds, then we'll talk!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts