Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i done bought myself a 98 honda civic it has the Y7/Y8 combo and i happen to have a ton of new and used Y8 parts motor has 156k according to the odometer and im in the process of pulling it and i wanted to know what parts i cant use. I plan on swapping the y7 oil pump with a Y8 one since i have it laying around. i have searched far and wide for my awnsers and its a bit frustrating.

Will my Y8 clutch kit work (including flywheel) on the y7?
Y7 or Y8 tranny?
I will be doing timing belt and seals while its out i plan on using y8 oil pump, water pump, and timing belt
Is there anything i should do ignition timing wise?
It has a molested Y7 harness on it i plan on using the Y8 harness so i dont have to do any wiring (yes i know add a knock sensor)
P28 ecu or p2p ecu? It has a p28 with it
Motor is going into a 1997 honda civic ex so i was planning on switching the IM since its a 99-00 thats on there to a 96-98 one i figure this is easier

Any advice on the mini me is appreciated thank you

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
its been a couple years but, to do a mini-me swap on a y8 all you should need is a p2p ecu, run the extra wires for the knock sensor and vtec solenoid and if your y7 doesnt have a crankshaft sensor on the front near the balancer, then it will have to be rewired into the distributor, or repinned. dizzy's might be different too, might want to check on that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well if the y8 harness has all of that can i just use my that harness instead of the y7 harness? I know for the y8 head i need the y8 dizzy and i have three of em. pulling the engine tomorrow, i have searched other forums on it but couldnt get a clear awnser. I have p2p and p28 and i hear both will work

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It had a p28 hooked up im just looking for straight plug n play. Its going into a 97 civic coupe ex. I have 2 Y8s worth of parts and then fuck tons of new parts from my failed rebuild (found crack in the block) so should i add sensors and go for the ecu and harness thats in the 97?
I appreciate the help guys.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,046 Posts
swap y8 harness into the car, use the y8 ecu....

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
"searched far and wide"

google with a website filter is your best friend. So is the "way back machine" or whatever the website archiver site is called.

Y8 mini-mes are foolishly easy depending on budget. A more expensive, but VERY simple route is to grab a d16y8 engine harness from same year chassis (96-98 OBD2A, 99-00 OBD2B) and ecu from same car.

Make sure the oil restrictor is removed from the d16y7 block.

The cheaper but more pain in ass way is to by vtec pressure and solenoid plugs, and wire in vtec directly. go to a junkyard and cut an ecu harness apart for pins. You will need to convert wiring from 3pin idle to 2pin idle valve

make sure the intake manifold you use is not having those air injection holes near injectors (99-00 design)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dropped a 1/4 ratched on my phone and had to get a new one.
Threw in the motor and all was good used y8 harness

1 - 8 of 8 Posts