Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
97 EK coupe
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
quick breif, blew the headgasket on my Y7, drove it home keeping it under 2500 the whole way. drove maybe 20 miles.
replaced the headgasket.
set crank at TDC, aligned cam marks with the top of the head.
idles loppy, and when i shut it down it smells like gas.
any ideas?
ill get a video up this afternoon
video below

·
Registered
98 Civic CX-T on E85
1,797 Posts
did you check spark plugs and wires?? make sure the plug wires are in the correct order??

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
did you check spark plugs and wires?? make sure the plug wires are in the correct order??
this^ and are you sure the injector plugs are in the right order...

·
Registered
128 Posts
well, no one has answered it yet. But the way i "Burp" my coolent is to run it with the cap off for a bit, you should see some air bubbles "burp" to the top. Then after you've ran it for a decent time, cap the radiator, and put a lot of coolent in the resevoir bottle and drive it around. any other minor burps should go into the bottle and suck coolent back in when its cooled off.
Thats the way i've done it and it seems to work fine. If anyone wants to correct me. go ahead.
But judging from your video, i doubt thats a the problem. Damn that thing sounds rough/loud/muscley

·
Registered
97 EK coupe
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
whats the check engine light on for and why is your distributor cranked?
idk thats how it was when i bought it. and the check engine lights always on :bigok:
my 1st 02 sensor isnt hooked up

well, no one has answered it yet. But the way i "Burp" my coolent is to run it with the cap off for a bit, you should see some air bubbles "burp" to the top. Then after you've ran it for a decent time, cap the radiator, and put a lot of coolent in the resevoir bottle and drive it around. any other minor burps should go into the bottle and suck coolent back in when its cooled off.
Thats the way i've done it and it seems to work fine. If anyone wants to correct me. go ahead.
But judging from your video, i doubt thats a the problem. Damn that thing sounds rough/loud/muscley
lol yes it does, the cam is retarded too much. i did get it burped though

·
Registered
97 EK coupe
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
advancing the cam did nothing. im renting a compression checker thursday to see if thats the problem.

could it be my spark plugs? they are 2 years old :)

·
Registered
97 EK coupe
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmm i just went out and pulled the number 1 plug now smoke is coming out the hole..

and the plug is black so maybe some new plugs will help

·
Registered
94 Honda Civic Vx
29 Posts
Yes it could be the spark plugs... When you blew the headgasket, coolant probably got into the combustion chamber and fouled the plugs.In that vid it looked very hard to start so another reason it could be the plugs. Another thing re check your timing. But im about 90% positive it is the plugs.

·
Registered
158 Posts
First get the primary o2 sensor hooked up and working, this is the only feed back the ecu gets on how the engine is running, it will run super rich without it.

2nd- got to auto zone/advanced auto ect..they will check the codes the ecu is throwing for free.

·
Registered
97 EK coupe
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes it could be the spark plugs... When you blew the headgasket, coolant probably got into the combustion chamber and fouled the plugs.In that vid it looked very hard to start so another reason it could be the plugs. Another thing re check your timing. But im about 90% positive it is the plugs.
thanks for the feedback! im going to swap out the plugs and see how it does.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts