Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called quite a bit of tuners last week regarding port and polishing the Y7 head, all of them were more then willing to take my money.

Only one tuner was kind of hesitant on the phone and he suggested that I might be better off doing a mini-me and then port the Y8. I asked why he said 1 the y7 is very difficult to work compared to the rest of the d-series heads and power gains are not as much as the others. But they can do the Y7 port and polish he said he will hate to this job and me be dissappointed with gains.

dont want to flame any tuners, so I will keep the shop names under wraps for the time being.

So is the Y7 worth a port and polish?

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
That one shop that was hesitant at first knows Hondas! Definitely grab a Z6/Y8 head and have them do the P&P. Those two heads do flow better and have way better gains with a P&P than the Y7. That shop knows their stuff; give them your business.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
y7 and y8 combustion chambers are very similar

·
Registered
595 Posts
Meh...Bisi was pretty confident he can sort my Y7 out.
But I'm only after sensible gains to make everyday driving better.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
y7 and y8 combustion chambers are very similar
Y7 and Z6 have similer chambers. The Y8 has quelch pads even with the deck, the Z6/Y7 are recessed into the head. For figuring compression Z6 and Y7 are interchangable.

From what I've seen the Y7 and Y8 ports are pretty similer, but I've only glanced at them, never had them side by side.

·
FF Misfit
4,881 Posts
If you're going all motor you might as well P&P the Y7 and get a Bisi cam for it. There is a reason most all motor sohc's are notec. Don was making 162 hp on his D15B7 and the head was stock other than the cam and valvetrain.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BisiMoto does Port and Polish?

Back on the Y7 Vs Y8, if they were different and the Y8 head is better can one run a Y7 cam and not run V-tec?

·
FF Misfit
4,881 Posts
BisiMoto does Port and Polish?

Back on the Y7 Vs Y8, if they were different and the Y8 head is better can one run a Y7 cam and not run V-tec?
Yes Bisi does headwork but I'm not sure of the pricing. As for using a Y7 cam in a Y8 it can't be done.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Anyone have pics of both heads? I've been searching but can't find anything with the Y7 ports or chamber.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
i have a y7 head sitting on my spare block in the basement if you need some pics of something in particular

-Luke

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I just think it would be helpful to have pictures of both the Y7 and Y8 ports with measurements. Just to have something to use as a comparison.

Idealy it would be nice to have flowbench numbers from both to compare.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
i have a ported y8 head waiting to go on my y7 block that i could take pictures and measurements of. let me know if anyone wants me to take some pics. i also have a digital caliper so i can take measurements

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
i got pics of the Y7 intake ports. stock

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I have both the Y7 and Y8 heads in my workshop. I also had a Z6 recently that I rebuilt. Personnally, they all look real similar. Again, based on looks and no measurements or flow numbers I would say we are splitting hairs when comparing one over the other.

Sorry, the Mrs. is away with the camera so I can't do much of a side by side.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
It seems to me that without flow numbers it's tough to compare. It's like people assume the Y7 dosen't flow well because it's not a VTEC head.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts