Honda D Series Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,558 Posts
Yup, I've seen a few of those. Usually related to a Chrysler product.......... I run from them, screaming obscenities usually. Not welcome in my shop. Had a friend last night trying to convince me to work on one of these piles, and I was like, nope, sorry buddy, my wrenches don't fit that thing. His reply........ It's not really old, and its only been sitting for 6-8 months. Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.......that's what kept going through my brain. Nope.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Yup, I've seen a few of those. Usually related to a Chrysler product.......... I run from them, screaming obscenities usually. Not welcome in my shop. Had a friend last night trying to convince me to work on one of these piles, and I was like, nope, sorry buddy, my wrenches don't fit that thing. His reply........ It's not really old, and its only been sitting for 6-8 months. Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.......that's what kept going through my brain. Nope.
Sometimes you just have to turn stuff away because you can get in deeper than you expected especially if you run into problems,and you usually will. That's why I like these old Hondas they are simple. All these driving aids are ridiculous.What happened to just paying attention?

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,978 Posts
In HD trucks, the problem is bad and getting worse. Regardless of the component manufacturer, they like to call the components ADAS, or Advanced Driver Assistance Systems.

These 100,000 lb trucks and trailers have camera guided lane keep assist (will steer truck keeping it in lane), radar guided cruise control and braking (dynamic speed adjustment, and can fully brake the truck to a stop), camera and radar guided collision avoidance (can swerve away or come to a complete stop from objects in the road that pose a risk to the vehicle).

The scary thing is these forward looking systems break all the time! The bumper mounted radar sensors get dinged or covered with bugs, which disables the safety systems, or the windshield mounted camera gets covered with bugs, same thing.

The scary thing is there is very little warning to the driver when these systems fail or stop working. Nothing all that in your face, maybe a notice in the cluster, things average drivers comfortably ignore or just don't care about.

The real danger is when drivers actually come to RELY on these systems. When they do get complacent with these systems, and that one more bug pIles on the radar sensor or the camera, if drivers arent paying attention, they may not know the truck no longer autobrakes, or dynamically adjusts cruise. If they are expecting it to, but it doesnt, and rams into that school bus, who's fault is it?

Automatic driving systems are a moral and legal bowl of spaghetti.

Definitely a cool idea, but in current form definitely no driver replacement. Unfortunately drivers are using them AS replacements for manual tasks. That's scary.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
2,236 Posts
I agree 100%. I work with these systems everyday and no way I would own one. We had a lady who brought her car in complaining that the steering just didn't feel right,so the tech looking at it starts the car and the steering wheel goes to full lock in less than a second. Turns out there's an electric motor on the steering rack tied into all kind of electronic nannies that went berzerk. Engineering said that can't happen but somebody dropped the ball because it damned sure did.If she had been on the interstate it probably would have killed her.Hell some of the ones we work on have no steering shaft that physically connects to the wheel to the rack. It has a position sensor that reports to the motor on the steering rack. They steer like shit too,no feel like a video game.

Yeah but video games are fun!...right?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm 5 hours south of Atlanta first bigish city on i75 right when you get into Florida.
Idk how you guys do it up there in the hills/mountains, took my civic up to Tennessee once. Scared me all to hell and it was summer time 🤣
It's beautiful but I like it Flat.

Cut my y8 .060 because I'm lazy and also as an experiment to get some compression. Ported it as well. 11:1
I think the repeated rule on cam timing with milling isn't quite right.
Sort of been flying blind, got my cam advanced 4.5* so about 9* at the crank if you believe that. Ran super retarded at just 3*
Head was stock I measured it before and after so I know they took exactly .060 off.
Could go more but I'm scared to test my luck.
Haven't degreed it.

Went from getting gapped by my buddy's fusion 🤣 to putting a bus on him by 100-110ish
Not a big accomplishment but it's a NA stockish D series lol

Used to be turbod but kept turning it up and blew a turbo manifold gasket out at like 15psi so I pulled it off because I needed wheels lol.
Now i don't beat too much on my daily.
Building a y7 bottom end now for my EG coupe. Miss me some boost.

Got an ostrich recently so I feel your pain. Just need a hulog now. Tuning on HTS.
Call me the Ray Charles of tuning.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I'm 5 hours south of Atlanta first bigish city on i75 right when you get into Florida.
Idk how you guys do it up there in the hills/mountains, took my civic up to Tennessee once. Scared me all to hell and it was summer time 🤣
It's beautiful but I like it Flat.

Cut my y8 .060 because I'm lazy and also as an experiment to get some compression. Ported it as well. 11:1
I think the repeated rule on cam timing with milling isn't quite right.
Sort of been flying blind, got my cam advanced 4.5* so about 9* at the crank if you believe that. Ran super retarded at just 3*
Head was stock I measured it before and after so I know they took exactly .060 off.
Could go more but I'm scared to test my luck.
Haven't degreed it.

Went from getting gapped by my buddy's fusion 🤣 to putting a bus on him by 100-110ish
Not a big accomplishment but it's a NA stockish D series lol

Used to be turbod but kept turning it up and blew a turbo manifold gasket out at like 15psi so I pulled it off because I needed wheels lol.
Now i don't beat too much on my daily.
Building a y7 bottom end now for my EG coupe. Miss me some boost.

Got an ostrich recently so I feel your pain. Just need a hulog now. Tuning on HTS.
Call me the Ray Charles of tuning.
The Ray Charles of tuning 😎 lol
I haven't messed with mine much due to the holidays and crappy weather but did regap the plugs to .027. Plugs looked great and I received a borescope I had ordered before Christmas so going to take a look at the cylinders for shits and gigs.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts