Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a 98 civic DX hatch with the y7 in it, and a 99 coupe SI.
last fall i got pulled over and MVI notice on the hatch and the car has some issues i dont want to address, so i want to put the y7 i have into the 99 SI chassis, i have the y8 motor that came from it but it suffered a rod failure which killed the block and damaged the head, so does anyone know if the y7 will work with the y8 intake and TB on the y7 with the si harness and computer?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,024 Posts
so fuck a search?

fuck a p2e?

so, you don't want to address it, but you just had to mention it......

you killed a block, but have a spare block, and instead of swapping heads, youll just swap intake manifolds and hope?

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
search for differences between the 99-00 D motors and 96-98. Hint, holes in intake flange.

also, 99-00 civics moved the secondary O2 sensor harness to a different location.

you will need to source a 99-00 d16y8 head in order to restore all power and efficiency without any CEL's

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the y8 head has been damaged by a connecting rod and piston when they let go of the crank, i have both complete cars, and the o2 sensors will still plug where theyre supposed to, i just have to swap the y8 intake onto the y7 block so the IAC valve will work with the plug

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just wanted to see if any one has done this before and how

just wanted to see if any one has done this before and how well it will work with the y8's computer, without a v-tech head

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
you'll get CELs like crazy, the IACV is different

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
oh wait I just realized you're in CA, where the Si was just our EX.

nevermind on the b16, still won't work though

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
not california, canada

their SI is our EX, and our SI is their SiR I believe

OP, if you simply bolt up the y8 intake stuff, you will still get CEL's, less power, less gasmileage possibly, and have unused plugs from the engine harness.

save the trouble. use the Y7 block with a Y8 head. you get a small bump in compression, leading to an otherwise stock Y8 setup with a bit more oomph

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Optimally I'd like to put another y8 head on it but they're hard to find I've looked in a 300 mile radios of my small city and most people don't even know what they're looking at so it makes it hard to buy, I'm gun a pull the y8 head I have apart and we if I can machine it Dow and just do a rebuild on it, would anyone happen to know the Machine tolerance on a D series head?

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
as minimal as possible.

past 3 or 4 thousandths, grab an adjustable camgear, and dial it in to make up for the timing change that occurs with head slicing.

People have gone pretty far, so you have a window of opportunity.

You can try finding a talented aluminum welder to carefully weld the problem areas and then machine them out.

a good welder as in, someone who will understand the head warps with extreme heat, and will actually heat the head up previous to welding as to aid in reducing or preventing head warp during the welding process

1 - 12 of 12 Posts