Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about picking up a y7 head on the cheap and putting it on my b7 along with the z6 head gasket to give my motor a decent compression bump
from 9.28 to 10.22.However Ive read that the y7 is the worst flowing of the non-tec heads. I would be putting a complete z6 im on the head, and looking into getting a stage two cam. Would this be considered a waste of effort for such a minimal compression bump over just swapping the head gaskets? (rather not mill the head) Does my b7 head flow better than the y7? I'm on a budget but it doesnt mean I want to be cheap about things. I want to do the work myself rather than have someone else do it, plus it saves me money. /rant. main question is:

Is it worth it to swap the head?
or
Swap out the head gaskets and go with the simple A6 cam deal?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
easier to keep it simple. The Y7 head will require a mix-n-match of head studs.

That your current B7 head and have it milled .040, run the Z6 HG, 10.48:1 compression.

Later add my combo of simple parts (A6 cam, Y8 cam gear, Z6 intake) and have a very decent street setup...........that will also get 45-50 mpg when tuned and driven correctly.

This is the EXACT build I'm doing for a buddys SuperEGg

With a custom geared tranny we are going for 60 mpg.

·
Banned
598 Posts
good luck on 60
the closest i got with the vx is 56
but i think it can be done on a regular basis
you know my thoughts on the subject
it might require living on the equator though...lol
:)

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I'm actually foregoing a z6 mini-me on my d15b2 based on what i've seen as far as performance numbers on simple cam swaps like Bone's talkin about here. The z6 head would probably bolt on a few more horsepower right out of the gate, but by the time it's all said and done, the v-tec advantage isn't all it's cracked up to be, and the original head is cool because it's oem for the car it's in. In your case, your talking about an obdII head that's not even v-tec and only a slight bump in compression. Sounds like a lot of trouble for not much gain to me. But I've never done it, personally, so keep your grain of salt handy.

That your current B7 head and have it milled .040, run the Z6 HG, 10.48:1 compression.

Later add my combo of simple parts (A6 cam, Y8 cam gear, Z6 intake) and have a very decent street setup...........that will also get 45-50 mpg when tuned and driven correctly.

JESUS!

Is that representative of a tune for any kind of performance, or is it solely made to be efficient?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys I'm going to try to source another b7 head then so my car wont have any down time. It's my only car. I appreciate all of the info

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
You can do that also if your having a hard time binding a B7 head.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

Why does such a clean car have a Michigan plate, or is salt part of the plan for weight reduction to hit the 60MPG?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as tuning I've read a couple of options. Run the p28 maps and up the rev limiter or up the fuel 5%. I just wanna have everything set and researched before anything is together. Should I also plan to run 91 octane?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the link
Welcome
and I think I'm just gonna go with the A6 head don't want to get a d15 head from 92-93 and get the dx springs even though its something I should most likely replace

·
Registered
447 Posts
Thanks guys I'm going to try to source another b7 head then so my car wont have any down time. It's my only car. I appreciate all of the info
i have a b7 head that if and only if you can have in a week or so if i get my b18 or my mini me ready to go either way i will have 140 horses and be happy lol

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i have a b7 head that if and only if you can have in a week or so if i get my b18 or my mini me ready to go either way i will have 140 horses and be happy lol
Thanks, My main goal when all said and done is to mess with my buddy's ls swapped 4dr ek

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As far as tuning I've read a couple of options. Run the p28 maps and up the rev limiter or up the fuel 5%. I just wanna have everything set and researched before anything is together. Should I also plan to run 91 octane?
I know it needs to be tuned, but do i need a basemap to start it up if i run a stg 2 cam?
luckily enough John Vega of pherable.net is a 30 min drive from me, so thats who i will have tune it when its time to be tuned

1 - 19 of 19 Posts