Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do y7 heads have dowel pins? I searched and didnt see anything mentioning which had and which didn't. . .

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I think my machinist forgot to return mine to me on my built head. Anyone have any idea how much the dealership charges for these? Oh, is there only one or two of them on a Z6?

·
Registered
95 accord/87 ACCORD
491 Posts
You could probly go to the shop and ask a tech if they have a couple i know i have some in my tool box!
Yes 2

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
correct, all heads have dowel pins.

yes you need them.
yes and no. the dowel pin is there to align the head to the block. then also to align the HG to the block and the head. but does this mean its really required? not really. if you can't align them all up on your own, then yes a dowel pin is going to be needed. but they are not going to be detramental to the engine build up if they are not there.

i have never reinstalled them when i pull the head off, nor in the transmission housing :ssst:.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Remember that if you get your head milled then you may want to take the same amount off the dowels pins before reinstalling them.

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
correct, all heads have dowel pins.

yes and no. the dowel pin is there to align the head to the block. then also to align the HG to the block and the head. but does this mean its really required? not really. if you can't align them all up on your own, then yes a dowel pin is going to be needed. but they are not going to be detramental to the engine build up if they are not there.

i have never reinstalled them when i pull the head off, nor in the transmission housing :ssst:.
honda put them there for a reason. so i use them.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
two dowels in the head, 2 dowels in the tranny, 2 dowels between the engine and tranny, all the same size.

·
11,892 Posts
This answers a Question I've had for a While but never got to it.
What if you use Head Studs? Do you REALLY need them?
Yes.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
What if you use Head Studs?
do what you want. just remember what purpose they serve during engine assembly.

Do you REALLY need them?
never needed them with out the heads studs. again, not detramental to your build. BUT if your comfortable with them in there, then install them.

how so? having head studs in would do exactly the same thing as the dowels, just using the other holes in the HG/head/block.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,663 Posts
how so? having head studs in would do exactly the same thing as the dowels, just using the other holes in the HG/head/block.
I would have to disagree with this. Studs and dowels do NOT accomplish the same thing. Studs provide downward clamping while the dowels provide side-to-side lateral stiffening. Just ask a cabinet maker.

·
11,892 Posts
do what you want. just remember what purpose they serve during engine assembly.

never needed them with out the heads studs. again, not detramental to your build. BUT if your comfortable with them in there, then install them.

The dowels are there to line up the block with the head 100%. I would not feel right running the engine without them nor would I ever want to take the chance and leave them out just to see if it would work. They are there for a reason.

·
Registered
98 Civic CX-T on E85
1,797 Posts
bumping this thread because i realized i didnt put my dowel pins back in when i changed my hg...:pinch:

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
So youre bumping it, because????

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
The bolt holes in the head have quite a bit of clearance on bolts or studs. It makes no difference as bolts and studs are the same diameter.

A dowel holds the head firmly in the lateral plane and prevents chaffing at the gasket surfaces.

A dowel ensures the cam is EXACTLY lined up with the crank in all planes so the belt won't walk on the pulley.

A dowel ensures exact alignment so the head gasket can't get to close to the bore and cause detonation.

A dowel helps avoid piston to valve issues if the clearances are tight.

A dowel ensures the pressurized oil feed to the head exactly lines up with the gallery in the head.

The OEM engineers are under a lot of pressure to reduce costs, yet they still specify dowels be used, their location be precision bored and that they be fitted on the line. All this costs extra.

The OEM engines are pretty smart people and they work in teams and they have resources to do testing most here can't begin to imagine yet they still think dowels are required, but if you know better, go ahead and save $4 and 10 grams.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts