Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 EK coupe
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a spare Y7 head that im going to swap in after i mod it alittle.
I just want to clean the ports up , remove the casting lines and get rid of the ruff spots. anything else as far as intake side i can do in the garage?

also what can i do about the exhaust side, its looking rougher from all the carbon buildup. Should i port the exhaust side? or just polish it?
what grit does everyone use?
Ill post some pics to show progress
How well does ceramic coating work on pistons and the combustion chambers? does it wear off? im found a place that does it super cheap. 25$ a piston!

Oh my goal is 150+hp, this heads going onto a stroker motor.

·
Registered
99 Hatch
1,348 Posts
I look forward to this thread, I will also be working on Y7 head in the near future. I can only recommend the usual stuff like stay off the port floor and get a good VJ... besides that I'm useless when it comes to porting heads.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
For any kind of performance increase, get a better (Z6, Y8, Skunk2 Edelbrock) manifold and PORTMATCH the intake ports to the gasket that corresponds to the manifold you are using. The ports on the Y7 are small, and very uniquely shaped. Gasket matching the intake side will very, very, very much help in increasing performance.

·
Registered
97 EK coupe
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For any kind of performance increase, get a better (Z6, Y8, Skunk2 Edelbrock) manifold and PORTMATCH the intake ports to the gasket that corresponds to the manifold you are using. The ports on the Y7 are small, and very uniquely shaped. Gasket matching the intake side will very, very, very much help in increasing performance.
thanks beave! Ill be picking up the edlebrock manifold, i read its the best because of the angle of the tb distributes air more evenly to all the ports, and i believe them if you look at the stock K20 intake manifold the throttle body is angled just like the edlebrock.

anyways what should i do about valve springs? im getting a 272 regrind from delta for my birthday. That should be enough cam for me. but what about compression? should i mill the head and deck the block to get into the 11-12 range?
whats the benefits of high compression?

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
benefits of high compression are more torque across the whole rpm band, its a good thing.
it also gives you a hint of nutmeg out your exhaust.. lol

I'm gonna hafta come back down there wen you get this goin an check it out.

·
Registered
Mitsu, Subie, others
496 Posts
thanks beave! Ill be picking up the edlebrock manifold, i read its the best because of the angle of the tb distributes air more evenly to all the ports, and i believe them if you look at the stock K20 intake manifold the throttle body is angled just like the edlebrock.

anyways what should i do about valve springs? im getting a 272 regrind from delta for my birthday. That should be enough cam for me. but what about compression? should i mill the head and deck the block to get into the 11-12 range?
whats the benefits of high compression?
When is your B day? I will throw in a free shirt too, just write on your note to us, that you want the 272 and what size shirt you wear. Don't forget to enclose your complete shipping address !

Congrats !

·
Registered
99 Hatch
1,348 Posts
I'm currently running a 272 and really like it for the street. I'm also running ~12:1 comp but a stock head. If I were you I would get a set of bisi valve springs, I wish I did. Maybe ask delta for the specs on a 282 or even a 292, they maybe better suited. After tuning I have the 272 Idling like stock and did lose any low down power.

·
Registered
97 EK coupe
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i dont want to loose any lowend power, i want to gain low/mid range tq.
the 292 sounds extreme, im going to take a look into the 282, does anyone know if supertech springs are good? i like to save money where ever i can

1 - 14 of 14 Posts