Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am planning a light build for my y7. I am looking for an all around car, daily driven, only in summer, autoxer, circuit, road rallies, etc. just no drag racing. I want/need it to be reliable so I am trying to plan accordingly. Looking 200-250hp. I am looking for turbo, exhaust size, clutch recommendations.

Here is my short list so far (for engine):

stock head (y7)
y8 IM
310 or bigger injectors
eagle rods
SRP 10.5 comp. pistons (standard bore)
walbro 255 lph fuel pump
setrab 25 row oil cooler
2 or 3 row radiator
cometic head gasket
Hondata S300

For the turbo I am looking for something that spools fast and runs to redline. Hoping for a flat torque curve. Looking at T25, T28, T3 super 60. For exhaust, which would be better a 2.5" or 3"? And last the clutch, I was looking the ACT HDSS, but what have people had good luck with? If anyone has any other recommendations on anything let me know!

·
Registered
406 Posts
So, I am planning a light build for my y7. I am looking for an all around car, daily driven, only in summer, autoxer, circuit, road rallies, etc. just no drag racing. I want/need it to be reliable so I am trying to plan accordingly. Looking 200-250hp. I am looking for turbo, exhaust size, clutch recommendations.

Here is my short list so far (for engine):

stock head (y7)
y8 IM
310 or bigger injectors
eagle rods
SRP 10.5 comp. pistons (standard bore)
walbro 255 lph fuel pump
setrab 25 row oil cooler
2 or 3 row radiator
cometic head gasket
Hondata S300

For the turbo I am looking for something that spools fast and runs to redline. Hoping for a flat torque curve. Looking at T25, T28, T3 super 60. For exhaust, which would be better a 2.5" or 3"? And last the clutch, I was looking the ACT HDSS, but what have people had good luck with? If anyone has any other recommendations on anything let me know!
Hey! Welcome to the D.

You should check out the thread concerning cooling (Overheating Solutions) if you're looking to lap a car. You're correct in needing an oil cooler as well as a serious radiator. You might also want to look into some additional cooling options, as that's the Achilles heel of a boosted track-perpared D-series.

I have a similar set-up to what you have planned, but with a higher power goal in mind. I currently am using an externally gated GT2860RS, 550 injectors and FJ custom rods.

I would highly recommend using the FJ rebuild kit, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than Eagle rods, and you wont lose much compression which will help your torque when not in boost.

LSD is a forum vendor and sell very, very good clutches at an extremely competitive price point. Definitely worth checking out, and they have amazing customer service to boot.

A 3'' exhaust will help your spool times, which will be useful. Are you planning to run a cat, or simply straight through?

You should also seriously consider a rebuilt Si tranny with a LSD.

A few other builds to pour over would be Steinar, 90scivichillclimber, Atmosphear, and there are a few others I'm forgetting, sorry!

Do you have a suspension/brake set-up in mind? PM me if you want to discuss any specifics!

Edit: Holy lurker, check out the join date/post count!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Looks like you have a good plan, similar to mine also. There is no need for the custom length rods unless you are going to use vitara pistons. With the eagle/srp setup you should have a pretty reliable engine and be more than strong enough for 250whp. A t25 or t28 should also work very well. But a little headwork wouldn't hurt, it will make the hp levels a little easier to obtain with less boost. Glwb

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Im running a t25 which spool damn fast and makes good power. check my build for more info.
On your build list get 410cc injectors or bigger. Stock clucth will work or any of the stage 1.
Also 2.5 inch exhuast is good for the 250whp.

Good luck with everything and post pix when u got them.

·
Registered
406 Posts
From what I'm reading, FJ is closing its doors.
That's really sad news, they were amazing to do business with, and that rebuild kit was amazing value.

I guess I should count myself lucky that I got in on those before they did close shop.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes, they did close but, rcautoworks has a bottom end kit very similar if not the same.

I am definitely considering a LSD, was looking MFactory, but if there is a OEM way to go I may do that.

Right now I am not going to touch the head, I know it will only help but looking to stay on budget. I have an extra head so it is something I can do down the road.

I am drawn more toward the T25/28 because of spool time.

Now as far as the pistons are concerned if I could go cheaper (in price) I will. Would there be a big difference if I just stay with my OEM pistons, which I think stock compression is 9.6 or something, versus the SRP 10.5. Will that small jump in compression be worth it?

My suspension set up will stay as it has for many years. Just needs a refresh. Koni's, GC coilover sleeves and going to a 350F and 450R ERS spring, currently running 450F and 550R. Also upgrading the rear sway from a 17mm to maybe a 22mm with sub frame brace. New bushings throughout, hardrace maybe. Brakes I've always ran autozone rotors and hawk HPS pads all round, been very happy with them.

I have checked out hillclimbers build, will check the others out too!

Yea, I've been around for a while and finally getting around to doing the motor as I was always changing my mind!

Here's a current pic of the car.

Wouldn't a 3" exhaust be to big with the power goal I have in mind, I think a 2.5" would be better? I have RSX type S muffler I was going to run also, i want to get rid of the fart can I have now, need something more subtle.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think a 2.5 inch exhaust would suffice. I would also focus on cooling as this seems to be a issue, especially for circuit racing. So far you seem to have a good idea of what to do. Looking forward to seeing your build come along.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yes, they did close but, rcautoworks has a bottom end kit very similar if not the same.

I am definitely considering a LSD, was looking MFactory, but if there is a OEM way to go I may do that.

Right now I am not going to touch the head, I know it will only help but looking to stay on budget. I have an extra head so it is something I can do down the road.

I am drawn more toward the T25/28 because of spool time.

Now as far as the pistons are concerned if I could go cheaper (in price) I will. Would there be a big difference if I just stay with my OEM pistons, which I think stock compression is 9.6 or something, versus the SRP 10.5. Will that small jump in compression be worth it?

My suspension set up will stay as it has for many years. Just needs a refresh. Koni's, GC coilover sleeves and going to a 350F and 450R ERS spring, currently running 450F and 550R. Also upgrading the rear sway from a 17mm to maybe a 22mm with sub frame brace. New bushings throughout, hardrace maybe. Brakes I've always ran autozone rotors and hawk HPS pads all round, been very happy with them.

I have checked out hillclimbers build, will check the others out too!

Yea, I've been around for a while and finally getting around to doing the motor as I was always changing my mind!

Here's a current pic of the car.

Wouldn't a 3" exhaust be to big with the power goal I have in mind, I think a 2.5" would be better? I have RSX type S muffler I was going to run also, i want to get rid of the fart can I have now, need something more subtle.
I have the MFactory LSD and am very happy with it. D2B is also an option, but will be more expensive (I think) in the long run if you do a rebuild.

The reason people don't use OEM pistons is because a lot of the time they do a very slight bore to make sure their piston walls are fresh.

I think 450F/550R would be perfect for road race, why would you go softer?

3'' exhaust isn't necessarily overkill - if you're paying for a custom made exhaust the price difference between 2.5'' and 3'' shouldn't be huge. 3'' will give you a better spool time, and leave room to grow in the future should you want more power down the road. As for the exhaust note, a turbo will kit that rasp and actually keep it relatively quiet.

More pics!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I'll stick with the MFactory option.

Yes, those rates are about perfect for what I do with the car but it does make it a rough ride on the street. Streets around here are not that good and I drive it almost daily in the summer. I'll still keep the higher rates for the track but for autox and the street the softer rates will be fine.

I'll keep the 3" in mind, I am good with it helping spool time. I just didn't want to do something to big if it wasn't necessary.

Yes, cooling is really my major concern. Bigger radiator, oil cooler, maybe a vented hood. Not really sure what else I could do.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I think I'll stick with the MFactory option.

Yes, those rates are about perfect for what I do with the car but it does make it a rough ride on the street. Streets around here are not that good and I drive it almost daily in the summer. I'll still keep the higher rates for the track but for autox and the street the softer rates will be fine.

I'll keep the 3" in mind, I am good with it helping spool time. I just didn't want to do something to big if it wasn't necessary.

Yes, cooling is really my major concern. Bigger radiator, oil cooler, maybe a vented hood. Not really sure what else I could do.
Heat wrapping at a very minimum, if not ceramic coating to keep in engine temps down. Check my thread about overheating solutions, TONS of good info!

·
Registered
9 Posts
in reference to injector size, I am putting a garrett tt28 turb on my y7. I am using 450cc injectors out of a 2g eclipse. they are prretty reasonable and should work fine for that turbo. also a good idea would be to use a fuel pump out of a 03 evo. its a direct plug in and will be the equivelant to a 200lpr walbro. i will post pics of my build when im complete. im just waiting on a basemap tune for my p06

·
Registered
406 Posts
I checked out the cooling thread. Makes me lean towards a full size radiator.
It's a must if you're going to be lapping. If I were to do it again, I would probably try to find space for a dual core and use a stubbier manifold.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Since u have the type-s muffler I think getting the 2.5 exhaust piping to match it is perfect. Either full size or slim size radiator is fine. Ur still going to need map sensor, catch can, and wide band.Which turbo manifold were u planning to run with?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts