Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i just got a y8 long block for $40 today. and i want to swap the y8 head onto my y7 as well as the intake.

but i would need to do this swap in a few hours in one day. so i know i will need a new headgasket. i need a throttle body since this engine doesn't have one as well as a dizzy. so can i use a LS throttle body and my stock y7 dizzy?

also i have searched and i haven't found any numbers for hp gains with the y8 swap and keeping it obd2a.

or...

would it be better for my daily driver to just get the delta 272 camand a header. i dont really want to swap the y8 intake on because i dont want to buy a new cold air intake unless i do the mini-me.

anyways please help me out decide, i cant make up my mind. i would love to have the mini-me swap and vtec, but i dont really want to do the swap and/or have the time right now working 6 days a week.

Thanks,
Shean

·
Registered
435 Posts
put the head on get a vtec distibutor and a throttle body if your gonna stay obd2a then get a vtec ecu otherwise obd1 p-28 is perfect for this setup you cna run a cam and headers exhaust and intake i went with the stage 2 zex comp cam and head package with springs and retainers 3 angle valve job port and polish and a cam gear and with a little tuning was shiting on b16s and stock gsrs in hatch backs

·
Registered
619 Posts
Do you have the code from your ex head, cuz I am told they are the same as the hx, but I am so confused.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,663 Posts
The code on an EX head is P2-J and is found near the exhaust ports. The HX has a D17A6 with VTEC-E and is a 7th gen (2001-2005) Civic whereas the Y7 and Y8 mentioned by the OP are 6th gen (1996-2000). So no, they are not the same head nor are they interchangeble.

The horsepower gains you can expect by swapping in a Y8 head and IM on a Y7 would be similar to the the differences between swapping in an entire stock Y8 engine.

Y7 - Power : 106 hp @ 6200 rpm & 103 ft·lbf @ 4,600 rpm
Y8 - Power : 127 hp @ 6600 rpm & 107 ft·lbf @ 5,500 rpm

So you'll gain about 21hp but you'll have to rev a little more to get it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
put the head on get a vtec distibutor :confused:
r u saying that he cannot take the y7 distributor (nonvtec) and put it in the y8 head (vtec) and get it to work as normal ;;;;; if thats what u r say i am a bit lost cause i have that set up in my car y7 block with y8 head and y7 distributor and it works great under boost ;;;;explain what u r saying

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
you can use the y7 dizzy. it is the same as the y8. obd2 dizzy = obd2 dizzy.

i've been daily driving my boosted y7/y8 mini-me (with y7 dizzy) for 2 years

-Luke

·
D-series SoCal Division
93' dx hatchback
659 Posts
So I have a 1996 honda civic hatch with a y7. So for the mini me swap I would need the p2-j head right?
Real mini me's consist of a D15 non vtec block with a vtec head, excluding the JDM D15B's

Can't knock the fact that you tried to search, even though you bump an old ass thread.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
ok i just got a y8 long block for $40 today. and i want to swap the y8 head onto my y7 as well as the intake.

but i would need to do this swap in a few hours in one day. so i know i will need a new headgasket. i need a throttle body since this engine doesn't have one as well as a dizzy. so can i use a LS throttle body and my stock y7 dizzy?

also i have searched and i haven't found any numbers for hp gains with the y8 swap and keeping it obd2a.

or...

would it be better for my daily driver to just get the delta 272 camand a header. i dont really want to swap the y8 intake on because i dont want to buy a new cold air intake unless i do the mini-me.

anyways please help me out decide, i cant make up my mind. i would love to have the mini-me swap and vtec, but i dont really want to do the swap and/or have the time right now working 6 days a week.

Thanks,
Shean
A full swap a maybe better but the mini me is fine.
From the sound of it it seems like you havent done big jobs like this before.
Just look on the net and there is tons of how tos with detail pix.
But a head swap can be done in about 2hrs. Thats taking your time and oil change, bleeding coolant etc..

And it makes no sense to swap the head but not the intake.
your making power with the intake. Just swap it, use the y7 tb and get an ebay cold air intake. There all bout the same and dont add a ton of power.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts