Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 civic hx
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new here and a lil new to the d series motors. I have a couple questions about this y5 to y8 IM swap. I did some searching on here already but couldn't find a good enough answer so I thought I would start a thread myself. So I have a 97 civic hx 5spd with the y5 and i have a y8 head that I want to swap later once I start my turbo build. The head came with the IM, fuel rail, injectors and I'm having probkems with the egr valve on my y5 so instead of buying new valve I figured I would swap the IM since I already have it. My question is
What is needed to do the swap
Do i need to change the ecu
Will I throw egr code and if so is there a way to get rid of it
Do I have to do any mods to the wiring harness
Should I swap the rail and injectors along with it

Really appreciate the help with this

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
everything will swap right over but i see no reason to swap, the y5 is exactly the same as the y8 manifold but with the egr chamber and flange. if you dont already have a cel for your your messed up egr then you will when swapping manifolds and having no egr plugged in at all. if you stay with the stock y5 ecu then you will need to stick with the y5 injectors i believe ( i know y7 are 190cc and y8 are 240cc).

no need to do a full head swap, all you need to do is swap the valve train of the y8 into the y5 head but why do you want to do this? y5 is still vtec and will function exactly the same when chipped and tuned so why not stay y5? i put a turbo on my hx d16y5 and it ran great, yes you will lose the egr function but a chipped ecu wont look for one so it will be like its not there.

·
Registered
97 civic hx
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Couldve sworn I had replied to you Blu3 but I don't see it up here. Anyway thanks for the reply and info. So I could swap the internals over along with the cam and cam gear. If so then I would need to swap ecu. But I won't need to for the IM swap. Is there a way I could get rid of the egr cel

1 - 3 of 3 Posts