Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 WRX STi
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright ladies and gents i will be doing a review on these XTD Clutch kits i bought an oem exedy flywheel didnt want to use a lightweight flywheel since i only have bolt ons I/H/E on my D16Y8. Ive heard that their stage 1 and stage 2s suck so well see.... waiting on the arrival of my flywheel this friday.

So it looks pretty decent, and it does have some weight to it for being a clutch disk.... rivets are ok i dont see any bad manufacture defects yet...lol
The only parts i will NOT be using from this kit is the pilot bearing, and throw out bearing. Going OEM with those to just to be on the safe side YA DIGGGG:clap: and also i wont be driving like an :asshole: to break it in to end some controversy. On the owners manual it states a 500 mile break in period.
NOW all my tranny gurus from what ive done and heard its just street mileage no highway till about maybe 300 mile break in period is this true?

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
Im in for this review. Even though I have read these clutches are hit and miss which I dont doubt they are because anything mass produced like this with no quality control could result in A hit and miss situation.

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
I had a similar ebay f1 brand and mostly worked good until i cranked the boost. My buddy had a nightmare with that clutch it would not disengage. Anyway to answer your question i broke in mine for at least 200miles

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
I've ran xtd clutches before, 200 miles then drove my normal routine, unless they have changed them in the last 2 years the stage 1-3 are all stock pressure plates with different discs, with that said I had a good experience, had a lot of chatter for the 6 puck I had other than that no issues, smooth engagement, life of it lasted longer than I had the car (2years)

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
I've had several of these clutches and i feel its all about the person who drives with them and install them. i've ran 3 of these clutches until each of my motors decided to just say fuck you i'm done. they were all N/A and the only failure i had was cause of my timing belt were garbage with my head was stiff as fuck with a stout cam. i also had a hybrid short ratio tranny with a OEM CX 15lb flywheel. and i never had a problem. in fact they were awesome in my opinion but again that is my opinion.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Only experience I have with them is the destroyed one I just took out. Very little background on it, just know it slipped when I went into boost and got progressively worse as I drove it. Swapped it for an D17 Exedy

·
Registered
15 WRX STi
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Waiting on delivery of flywheel via UPS,
I feel like a kid just standing by the window straight creeping lol

·
Registered
267 Posts
Read bad reviews, friend had one and ended up having to replace it after 3 months. The surface of the stage 3 deteriorated.

edit: I want to add that it was daily driven and has never seen track or drag strip. RSX 5spd base model.

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
Action clutch has good choices +flywheels for a reasonable price.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
I've had several of these clutches and i feel its all about the person who drives with them and install them. i've ran 3 of these clutches until each of my motors decided to just say fuck you i'm done. they were all N/A and the only failure i had was cause of my timing belt were garbage with my head was stiff as fuck with a stout cam. i also had a hybrid short ratio tranny with a OEM CX 15lb flywheel. and i never had a problem. in fact they were awesome in my opinion but again that is my opinion.
If you ever made any decent power, the clutch would just slip on you.

These XTD clutches are a total joke. Not to mentioned they can be severely unbalanced. Not something I would ever recommend people run.

PS, I am pushing over 300whp through an OEM D17 Daikin pressure plate. Now that is quality.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts

These XTD clutches are a total joke. Not to mentioned they can be severely unbalanced. Not something I would ever recommend people run.

PS, I am pushing over 300whp through an OEM D17 Daikin pressure plate. Now that is quality.
So I followed your advice on this and bought a d17 exedy kit. What disc are you running that holds that much?

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Its got a 6 puck comp clutch disc in it right now. The organic disc would probably hold 300whp for a while but it wouldnt last to abuse.

Also these XTD PP's snap the locator straps at the rivets all the time. Also the diaphragms crack like crazy.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Its got a 6 puck comp clutch disc in it right now. The organic disc would probably hold 300whp for a while but it wouldnt last to abuse.

Also these XTD PP's snap the locator straps at the rivets all the time. Also the diaphragms crack like crazy.
Good to know, only plan to push it to 2-225 on the stock bottom end and then I will get a real clutch kit for the built motor.

Oh and you mean the PP do this?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Ouch is that a crack? Looks like a hot spot developed from an untrue surface.

First time I've seen a crack there.
Not 100% but its definitely not normal. I'll post another photo here in a moment.

·
Registered
15 WRX STi
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I installed it over the weekend at first I had a lot of noise but after a mile the chatter went away I'm at 225 miles break in and it feels pretty good no complaints yet but I do have a surprise I will post photos after work... I was surprised at what I found inside. I also took advantage of swapping my transmission to a K4F A000 S40 which I belive if I'm not mistaken is a y7 tranny. At about 75 mph I'm at about 2300-2500 way less than my ex tranny I had in their.

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
I'd toss the ex trans back in, it doesn't use more gas as many claim and believe. As for the clutch I'm curious what the surprise is, I didn't have much bad to say about mine aside from the chatter but mine was on a bone stock std 89 hatch

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts

^ This. Mine ebay clutch started slipping at 12psi on stock motor as well. Not sure if it's a hit or miss thing as i saw some have good luck with it. Let's hope it works out for you :fingersx:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts