Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an XTD stage 3 clutch and flywheel kit off eBay for $247 shipped. It included a 6 puck stage 3 clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, alignment tool, and 8lbs flywheel. Anyway, it says to break it in for 500 miles...well I've got 450 miles on it and I didn't get on it AT ALL until 415, which IMO is plenty long for a clutch to break in. So tonight I've been getting on it some here and there...nothing big and then on my way home, I really got on it and it reved fast as hell and pulled great! Grips awesome...no slippage. Only thing that I don't like about the clutch so far is that the pedal feels stock...I wanted something that felt really stiff but it doesn't matter...it grabs great and revs really fast. By the way, this is on a boosted sohc zc vtec. Im at 8lbs. I'll be hitting the dyno in the next 2 weeks and I'll be at 10lbs then so we'll see. But so far so good. I like it a lot.

Reactions: Egwhite

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...just an update. I've launched on it a couple times now and no slippage. It's holding up great so far. I hope it continues to hold this well.

·
Formally known as SPONSOREDCRX
3,566 Posts
ive got the same thing in my sohc zc with i/h/e. i grabbed hard until i really started to beat on it at about 800 miles. still grabs on down shifts, but slips when shifting.

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
sounds good! i'm planning on using a stage 3 with my stock flywheel. the xtd stage 1 sucks for boost. i've only got about 10,000 miles on it and it's starting to slip!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
500 miles is pretty average for a clutch break-in. Are you losing boost quicker between shifts now with that light-ass flywheel?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
ive got the same set up and i didnt like the clutch feel either... did ur throw out bearing make whistleing noises shortly after break in? mine does :(

·
Registered
915 Posts
I agree. kindof off an ebay clutch works so well, and at such a low price.

$100 at autozone will get you a lifetime guarantee on a crx clutch. they hold great :TU:
i agree 100% on this....ive had my autozone OEM replacement in my car for over a year, roughly 10-12k HAAARD miles on it and still chirps 3rd!!!it grabs the fuck out of 2nd to :)

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
one thing you could do for easier pedal feel is get a stainles steel clutch line. When you put your foot on the clutch it goes down like butter!

·
Registered
119 Posts
i've heard good and bad things about that clutch. glad to hear it's been going good for you. i almost bought that kit but i bought an act clutch and flywheel instead.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have had the same xtd stage 3 clutch and 8lb flywheel for a year, it started slipping a couple months ago on high boost or at the track...

I had the tranny out last weekend and it looks horrible inside... The clutch disk itself is still meaty, but the flywheel and pressure plate are both shot. The clutch just ate the face of the flywheel and pressure plate way out of spec.. But for the price, I would definately buy again...

I am running 22psi atm...

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well it's not supposed to hold up to 22lbs lol. It's rated at 300hp and like 275tq I believe. Anyway, I've been getting on it a lot lately and it's working great so far. No slippage at 8lbs. Bumping up to 10lbs here soon. And yes, it does kinda feel like I loose a tad bit of boost in between shifts now if I don't shift fast enough but it's not bad. I still like how it revs up so fast. Anyway, I've got over 800 miles on it and it's doing good! No complaints.....yet ;)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
just got mine in too.
I kinda skipped the break-in and just started rompin on it out of the box.

I didn't resurface my flywheel (lightened OEM) cause I didn't have time to wait on sending it out. Instead I just roloc'd it to break up the glaze a little.

seems ok, lots of clutch chatter. but that's already subsiding (~200 mi).
pedal effort is actually softer than my OEM. I also expected it to be real grabby since it's a copper 6 puck, guess I need to let it bed-in a little more.

shifting at red line, full throttle, it slips just a little bit when engaging the next gear.

again, hopefully this will correct itself as the clutch disc beds in a little more to the used flywheel.

·
Registered
999 Posts
i dont think you need to resurface your flywheel with a 6 puck do you?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
of course the clutch manufacturer says your supposed to because its basic practice.

like cheap "lifetime" brake pads, these cheap ceramic-copper 6-pucks are basically harder than the flywheel and pressure plate, so it will essentially resurface everything on its own

Hatch Man (z6) said:
I had the tranny out last weekend and it looks horrible inside... The clutch disk itself is still meaty, but the flywheel and pressure plate are both shot. The clutch just ate the face of the flywheel and pressure plate way out of spec..

1 - 20 of 59 Posts