Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think Im about to order the XTD stage 3 clutch and 8lbs flywheel. It's only like $248 shipped. Comes with the throw out and pilot bearing and the alignment tool and all that good stuff. I searched on here and couldn't find anything about them but I searched on HT and found that A LOT of people have great experiences with these clutches. Just thought I'd ask you guys about them real fast. I hope to get some answers before I buy it in about 15 minutes lol. Here's a link to it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-0...190062997814QQihZ009QQitemZ190062997814QQrdZ1 By the way, I would get an Exedy b/c they're my favorite but money is really tight right now and I burned the shit out of my stock clutch the other night (stock clutch with about 85k on it, boosted, doing a launch...killed it)...so I need one quick.

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,871 Posts
i have 2 experiences with them my friends and mine.. both purchased around the same time... we got the exact same clutch kit.. except he got the sprung 6 puck and 8 pound flywheel and i got the unsprung disc and i used my stock flywheel...

put his in 2k down the line the pressure plate fell apart put mine in ( pretty much the same day he put his in) and if i pushed the clutch pedal down to far ( to disengage the clutch ) the release bearing was hitting the clutch disc pushing it into the flywheel and i would stall the car sometimes...

i took that crap out and put my clutch specialties clutch back in it been going good for 1 year now but the pp has nice amount of metal missing from using the ceramic disc..

idk.. use at your own risk i say.. id honestly just get a clutch specialties.. theyre awesome

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm...I've read probably 20 reviews on the clutch and I've found the most of them (probably 15 out of the 20) have been good reviews. The others were just saying that the clutch was slipping like crazy but Im willing to bet it from not properly breaking it in. I've never heard of your problem before. Hopefully it was just a one time deal...Thanks for the reply though bro

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,871 Posts
yea no problem man.. idk about breaking it in and slipping tho.. when i had my clutch specialties stage 2 pp and street disc.. i popped a spring while racing.. this was on a stock disc pretty much.. i went back and bought a 4 puck solid hub disc for 40 bucks... put it in.. drove around the block a few times... some stop and go's... put 2 miles on the disc... beat the shit out of it on the way to the track... still isnt slipping 6 months later so idk.... ceramic is pretty much metal.. if u have metal agains metal slipping you did something wrong unless the clutch is totally warn out

·
Registered
999 Posts
ive seen a xtd stage 1 blow up on track.. had to tow my friend home

·
Registered
37 Posts
arent u suppose to break in a clutch first before u do anything crazy with it like reving high and peeling off

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a cheap clutch and their stage 1's are like stock replacements. If your friend was beating the shit out of it then I'd expect that. That's why I got the stage 3..it's probably equivalent to an Exedy 2 or something.

Yes, you're usually supposed to break in the clutch for around 400-500 miles. I've heard of people not doing it but it's always a good idea. Im going to do it for sure.

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,871 Posts
arent u suppose to break in a clutch first before u do anything crazy with it like reving high and peeling off
yea u are... i broke in my stage 2 pp and street disc ( pretty much stock disc ) for 400 miles before i did anything stoopid..

when i went to clutch specialties i asked him how long should i got to break in the ceramic disc.. he said " just put it in and go" its a ceramic 4 puck clutch you dont have to worry about the warpage issues like you do a full face clutch

edit.. exedy sucks imho.. my other friend had their stage 2 clutch.. and he babys his car.. never ever drives it hard.. i drove it.. damn thing slipped when i speed shifted it

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm...Aimco is who sells the XTD clutches and they say they all require a 500 mile break-in period; it's also a ceramic clutch...

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
88 y49 crx
3,902 Posts
i had a stage 2 xtd clutch. i loved it. no slippage and i had well over 5kmiles on it. pulled hard too.

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks bro, did you break it in? Did it grip pretty hard?

·
88 y49 crx
3,902 Posts
yea i broke it in for the 500 and then alot of hard pulls. grip really good, no slipping at all.i plan on using the stage 4 on my boost kit after the centerforce goes out

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's awesome. I really appreicate your comments about it. I feel pretty good about it myself. I can't wait to put it in. I think Im going to buy the stage 4 when I build my motor as well. Im boosted right now but I think the stage 3 will be fine for it. It's only 8lbs. Anyway, thanks man

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
by the way, how did you break yours in? Just drive around normal without getting on it to much for 500 miles? Or did you drive any specific way to break it in better or faster?

·
88 y49 crx
3,902 Posts
i live in a small town and the fastest i went was 50, never got on it for the 500. but as soon as i hit 500 say bye bye to the tires. lol

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok I gotcha. I live in a smaller city too. There's tons of stop signs and the afternoons are CRAZY with traffic back ups and stop and go's. I think I'll do just fine if I just drive around town as much as possible. Maybe hit the interstate some and drive like 70 and downshift to 4th and then back up the 5th w/out getting on it. Anyway, you've told me just what I wanted and needed to hear. Thanks!

Reactions: si-hatch86

·
88 y49 crx
3,902 Posts
some clutches from what i hear ask for the installer to do a couple hard pulls before the 500 miles. ive only heard this a couple times, not too sure on what brands ask this but yea i say break it in for the 500 with normal driving and not getting on it too bad and you should be fine with it.

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,871 Posts
Ok I gotcha. I live in a smaller city too. There's tons of stop signs and the afternoons are CRAZY with traffic back ups and stop and go's. I think I'll do just fine if I just drive around town as much as possible. Maybe hit the interstate some and drive like 70 and downshift to 4th and then back up the 5th w/out getting on it. Anyway, you've told me just what I wanted and needed to hear. Thanks!
dont downshift on a new clutch... just shift up 1-2-3-4-5 then put it in neutral when slowing down...

·
88 y49 crx
3,902 Posts
dont downshift on a new clutch... just shift up 1-2-3-4-5 then put it in neutral when slowing down...
i cant believe i missed that part. dont ever down shift on a new clutch thats just like getting on it. just drive shifting up and using neutral wen slowing down.

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok thanks guys. Im glad you told me that or I might've been buying a new clutch again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts