Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, first time post here. im a bit of a noob at this, so please be nice. :redface: i have an 88 4 door civic with an all stock motor, except for a multi point swap and a little intake. iv been wanting to go boost it for awhile now, but dont have any experience with it personally. i am handy mechanically, and would most likely rebuild the engine before trying to put it under boost, but for after that, i was wondering if the kit from xs turbo was a good idea? heres the link to it, T3 4 BOLT SUPER TURBO KIT, D SERIES D15 D16 SOCH CIVIC, Acura Honda Turbo Kits, XS Power Inc. .. iv heard that xs power products arent good for very high boost, but all i want is something fairly reliable but fun to drive. any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
look around, read, learn, ask, and most of all search!

There are many things you can do to your car. I font know how many miles you have on your car, but it is a tad old. I would brake it down and look at it well before you start boosting it.

what are your goals? maybe you dont need high boost?

·
Registered
Civic Si hatch EH3 -
198 Posts
and this is a regular ebay turbo kit... there are a couple of threads about this...
it's not a good kit... manifold will crack..

·
Registered
90 civic si
1,536 Posts
if you are going to get a cheap ebayish turbo kit get one with a cast manifold.. that will save you one headache..

as for boosting your car i say check the compression on the motor convert the car to obd1 install turbo kit dyno tune to 200whp and then build a motor on the side..

and for your first turbo setup you could look into getting a greddy turbo kit used they go for fairly cheap $600-800 and are good quality

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
boosting a D15? be happy with 180whp to be reliable

them rods are mighty small :p
this is true. however fjt (a site sponsor) makes rods for this motor <3

first welcome

secondly. i went wiht a ebay kit. only thing i ended uup keeping was the front mount and piping, and the blow off valve. i ended up replacing everything else for better quality. the ching chong turbos can last with a oil restrictor and some luck. but the exhaust manifolds from ebay... only the cast ones are shown to last.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
this is true. however fjt (a site sponsor) makes rods for this motor <3
first welcome

secondly. i went wiht a ebay kit. only thing i ended uup keeping was the front mount and piping, and the blow off valve. i ended up replacing everything else for better quality. the ching chong turbos can last with a oil restrictor and some luck. but the exhaust manifolds from ebay... only the cast ones are shown to last.
that he does not :) however he does make them for the jdm d15b....they do not fit the usdm d15. he however has been saying for the past 2 1/2 years that he is going to be making the usdm rods but has yet to do it. crower and pauter are your two choices...well that and i guess some random dude in hungry made some up....dont know about that

just boost it stock and when you get bored with that build an d16 up and have some fun....

also like stated before get the cast manifold kit off ebay, and read up on them there are plenty of write ups on here there is going to be quite a few more items you need to buy ontop of an ebay kit, and no they are not bolt on kits many partsa will have to be modified....most likely welding will be required

1 - 9 of 9 Posts