Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Bought the 35w (6000K) 9003 (HB2) Bi Xenon Kit , Installed it yesterday , install was fairly simple , but clearly not noted in directions , wired grounds for both sides under the headlight mounting bolt and ran the second light wire through and past where the radiator is (coated in shrink tube to insulate from the heat ). I had to mess with the connectors a little bit and slightly move the prongs inside to make them smoothly mate ( i didnt want to force them and break it ) In all honesty, not that thrilled with them , they look awesome , were easy to put in , but i bought them thinking why spend 55$ on bulbs when i can get an HID kit for the same price , i cant say i can see any better with them ( not any worse ) , but more or less just a style upgrade , im thinking about getting different bulbs to see if they make a difference ( of coarse doing a little research to make sure that's possible first.)

Ive added a picture to show the exact ones i bought ... ps the ballast's that came were all plastic and not to metal ones shown in the picture

Xentec.jpg picture by Impulse86 - Photobucket

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
$55? ....this is the kit i always use $35 and under from the same company

and they are always metal? so idk

yes the bulbs are interchangable.....4500k is best for headlights 3k best for fog lights for maximum visability(4300 is best but your generic kits 4500 is as close as it gets). 4500k is pure white and will give the maximum amount of light output in perfectly clear condisions. 3k is yellow and the best color to cut through instead of reflect water molecules giving you mximum visibility during rainy, snowy and foggy condisions

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$55? ....this is the kit i always use $35 and under from the same company

and they are always metal? so idk

yes the bulbs are interchangable.....4500k is best for headlights 3k best for fog lights for maximum visability(4300 is best but your generic kits 4500 is as close as it gets). 4500k is pure white and will give the maximum amount of light output in perfectly clear condisions. 3k is yellow and the best color to cut through instead of reflect water molecules giving you mximum visibility during rainy, snowy and foggy condisions
good to know, question ... if i swap bulbs its probably not going to get much brighter right ? id have to switch to a 55w system i assume? if i decide to do that can i just switch the ballasts or do i have to install a whole new kit?

·
Registered
840 Posts
the ballast can cause issues, you want an upgrade in lighting move to projectors very much worth every penny i'm so glad i did my set, the hid's were nice alone. the one thing i hate is those damn relay harnesses

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
i would keep it 35w and also drop to a 4500k. it is a pure white light.

plan for my teggy is the 4500k in the headlights and 3k in the brights(headlight stay on when brights are turned on). imho the hid's are bright enough i wont need the brights, so this will give me optimal light visibility during all weather condisions

edit: also retro fit would be the best bet, a projector is always going to be better. the teg comes with factory projectors and i have a decent cutoff line with them

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i would keep it 35w and also drop to a 4500k. it is a pure white light.

plan for my teggy is the 4500k in the headlights and 3k in the brights(headlight stay on when brights are turned on). imho the hid's are bright enough i wont need the brights, so this will give me optimal light visibility during all weather condisions

edit: also retro fit would be the best bet, a projector is always going to be better. the teg comes with factory projectors and i have a decent cutoff line with them
i dont really do much night driving so its not all that big of a deal , just wish it was a lil brighter for what i spent , i like the color they are , its looks pretty cool i just thought there was a world of difference in lighting , i think im just gonna leave them for now , i still have side molding repair going on (mainly cuz im a jew with my money right now) i need more bondo for and i just finished intalling a radio in my car after a year of having it , i deff need to get a whole new headlight setup there old and busted up , ill probably hold out until i can find a used set in good condition b4 i replace anything , and if theres still not bright enough switch to a 4500K / 5000K

thanks for your input

·
Registered
275 Posts
I bought those same ones from ebay a while back..they started fuckin up on me a week later.. so I went to a car audio shop who also sold HIDs and bought a PnP kit from them for $120 and they are awesome. I do kinda want projectors but..they're overpriced as hell..

Sent from my DROID3 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
I bought these as well. So far so good.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
I know my local 1320 sells HID kits for 50$ Metal ballasts and all. If you have a local shop maybe check them out. I also know they sell replacement bulbs for 25$.

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
I got one for free from a friend and they were nice til the relay crapped out on s me 3 days later. It kept flicking the the high beams off and on when turned on.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know my local 1320 sells HID kits for 50$ Metal ballasts and all. If you have a local shop maybe check them out. I also know they sell replacement bulbs for 25$.
new york is quite an expensive state (thats why i do most of my shopping online), the local shop wants 100$ for the kit , and 30$ for bulbs

i posted this up just so someone interested in buying a kit would know that there not as bright as you think , my phone was stolen over the weekend but when i pick up another one ill post some pictures of them

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got one for free from a friend and they were nice til the relay crapped out on s me 3 days later. It kept flicking the the high beams off and on when turned on.
i rewired 2 brand new ones right b4 i installed the kit , only to realize my kit only needed one to run the both and it turns out the one that was bad
( the reason i bought new ones to install ) was the one that doesnt get plugged in :3dtard:

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
mine are 2x brighter than the brights...

·
Registered
^^^
15 Posts
i have had ebay hids in the past and never had good luck they quit on me way to fast so i did some research and found a website called vvme.com hands down best set ive ever owned and they came with a warranty. i paid 55 bucks for them. was worth every penny

·
Registered
1991 honda civic dx
54 Posts
I bought these for my ef back in feb and they still work (knock on wood). Anybody know if those ebay projectors will work? I've searched but no luck on info.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought these for my ef back in feb and they still work (knock on wood). Anybody know if those ebay projectors will work? I've searched but no luck on info.
as long as they take the same bulb i dont see why they wont

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,943 Posts
i have had ebay hids in the past and never had good luck they quit on me way to fast so i did some research and found a website called vvme.com hands down best set ive ever owned and they came with a warranty. i paid 55 bucks for them. was worth every penny
When I did my research, vvme brand hid's seemed to last longer than whatever the eBay brand is. In most cases they lasted until a proper retrofit was done or until they were sold off. I have a vvme kit and its wonderful. Not a single problem yet. I have the slim ballast kit. I recommend getting some clear lenses and a retrofit kit though. The fluted lenses scatter your light output all over the place and van make it very difficult for oncoming traffic to see.

I would recommended to everyone in here to spend the extra $$$ on the morimoto retrofit kit with bulbs. Its like $145 with bulbs and your choice of shroud and then you can get clear lens headlights on eBay for pretty cheap.

Sent from BigJ's Mobile Awesome Device

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Yellow fogs are not for cutting through fog better. They are to increase your viability to other users.

While a powerful white light lights up the fag as glare, you can still see objects that are further away. Yellow light only lights up objects with yellow colour in them.

·
Registered
98 honda civic LX
1,765 Posts
That Kit is shit! Your better off trying to find something with lifetime warranty! That way, if the buld or ballast......which is the part thats going to go first.......you can send whatever part back and get a free replacement.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Yellow fogs are not for cutting through fog better. They are to increase your viability to other users.

While a powerful white light lights up the fag as glare, you can still see objects that are further away. Yellow light only lights up objects with yellow colour in them.
hmmm i may be wrong but i was told by a guy who does retro fits the reasons for hid colors when i inquired about getting the blue colored lights to help me see better....now this was what he told me and i took it as he knew better than me....for all i know its wrong i guess but made sence to me.

4300 is pure white and has the highest light output, the higher you go above that you start loosing light output. the white will cut through clear condisions very very well. but the downside is it is highly reflective, so during inclimet weather the water molecules will be more prone to reflect the light giving you poor visability.

3k is yellow. the yellow light is not as bright as the 4300k but it is also not very reflective so during rainy, snowy, foggy etc weather the yellow will cut through the water molecules in the air giving you higher visability during poor weather condisions.

again this is second hand info given to me by a guy who does lighting...he could be wrong....but it sounds like it makes sence to me

1 - 20 of 22 Posts