Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1990 civic, 1991 CRX
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have a 1991 CRX dx and a 1990 sedan dx. It was only natural that I go for the trifecta....

So I brought home a 1990 civic si today! After putzing around on craigslist christmas day, I saw this little fellow. The ad was a month old, so I figured it was either fake or gone by now. Decided to email anyways and asked for a call back. Well the next day I got a text, and set up to see it today. I showed up with a trailer and cash, and next thing you know it was on it's way home with me.

Here's the scoop:
1990 Civic Si, 179k

The good:
RUST FREE(this is big for New England) Car lived in arizona and then california until 6 weeks ago
clutch is strong, tranny shifts awesome
In the past few years it has recieved:
OEM distributor, plugs, wires.
new fuel pump
new cat, exhaust, 02 sensor and a magnaflow axleback
front pads and rotors, rear drums, shoes and wheel cylinders
new tie rods, axles
decent head unit
a book full of receipts

The bad:
Seats are torn on bolsters. Not much of a surprise.
hunting idle. a technician found a failing IACV, vacuum hose leak, and leaking intake tube.
RTAB's are shot
shocks are blown
Paint is shot. Arizona sun was not kind to it.
Car leaks from rain rails.
small hit on RR quarter
RF fender was hit and pushed in.
AC doesn't work
More front end damage, lower rad support was pushed up against crossmember
Drivers side sun visor was replaced with cardboard wrapped in a piece of a pair of jean shorts(lol)

The guy didn't know much about the car, other then it might be something special, and worth more then scrap. Everything I saw could be fixed, so an offer was made and now its mine.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
1990 civic, 1991 CRX
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Orginally was looking at cars that I could ice race/rallycross. But this is way to nice to subject to that. whoops

Think I'll go for mostly OEM and some tasteful upgrades, and just enjoy it as a 3 season street car.

Plan so far look like:
GC sleeves (already have)
Bilsteins(getting some freshly rebuilt ones from a friend)
new RTAB's( another friend is giving me some fresh ones)
rear bar(already have)
hawk HPS pads(ordering with my contingency $ from racing)
some 15" wheels
possibly paint and bodywork

I already got a bunch of work done on it today to fix a lot of the bad, i'll post an update and some pictures soon.

·
Registered
stock sedan
1,460 Posts
Awesome man. Nice find.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I had the wagon/crx/hatch trifecta... Do it one level higher, go for it, YEAH, Connect four!
If I had the space to collect them all, I would have all 4 body styles.

Haha.

There is a really nice AWD wagon for sale locally, but I just can't justify paying his asking price even if I think it is reasonable. A couple of really clean hatches, but no decent sedans or CRXs.

WWD, your garage setup is damn sweet. Gotta love having a lift.

:)

·
Registered
1990 civic, 1991 CRX
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I took some nice pictures of all the progress I made, but now my phone is a brick and I can't get to them :(

Some janky wiring has been fixed, Smelvin's old battery replaced the weird old one with the flipped terminals, and everything else has been buttoned up. Now I just need to find time to register the damn thing!

·
Registered
1990 civic, 1991 CRX
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally drove the car for the first time this week. Damn do I love EF's, and this one drives great for the most part. Took it to work and gave her an alignment, even though I know it needs RTAB's and maybe some inner tie rods.

A little toe out never hurt nobody, right? The extra negative camber is likely related to the body damage. Fuck it, at least it's in the right direction.

It's going to be fun putting together a car with no rulebook. I ordered some tie rods, and a friend gave me some 5000 mi RTAB's that i'm going to install. The rear end crashes HARD over bumps right now. Picking up some free koni race's in the coming weeks to mate with the ground control sleeves I have sitting around. Need to decide on spring rates.

I stole the rear bar I had for smelvin, so that will remain stock for now. I also used the last of my hawk contingency for my daily, but that's ok because the brakes are great for a stock EF right now.

I also ordered some wheels, tire rack had a closeout on kosei K2R's in 15x7. There are some 195/45/15 direzzas in the basement from a friend that I'll throw on for now.

basically this build is going to be all about not giving a damn and throwing stuff at it that is cheap or I already have, just to make it a fun little street car. Now I just need to find some time to make it all happen :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
The K2R wheels are great looking wheels, I bought the same ones for my EF.

The one downer is that they come with bright red value stems, too flashy for my tastes.

You can also make your own center caps from 2 inch knockout plugs from Home Depot

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Rex looks good for its age, good to see it being saved and out rolling around in capable hands instead of a dumb kid who might as well burn it to the ground.

·
Registered
1990 civic, 1991 CRX
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yup, those RTAB's definately needed replacement.

Wheels are here.

Picking up the konis this week. May be refreshing some other suspension bits with stuff I have laying around too.

·
Registered
1990 civic, 1991 CRX
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Koni/GC setup with 400f/300r hyperco's as well as extended tophats are on. Neuspeed rear bar installed. new upper control arms front and rear installed. Car rides muchhhh better after driving it around a little. Street manners are good and it can be tossed hard, with a neutral to slight understeer feel steady state at the limit. And it looks damn low, the pictures don't do it justice. Can't wait to get some proper wheels under it.

of course then I went to drive it back to my place and it throws CEL code 3 and has a stumble at very light to medium load. I parked it and grabbed the accord, I'll worry about it another day.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts