Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody I'm Chris I have a 05 EX special edition 5speed. I'm looking to add some mods. what I have done so far is... a cold air intake, stage 2 EFT street clutch kit, I've even added a thorton's stage 3 tuner chip( thought I'd give it a try). Any suggestions on what I could do with the engine as far as my Modifications. nothing too crazy though,I would surely appreciate it.

Attachments

· BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
13,154 Posts

· Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
1,629 Posts
Put the stock air intake back on, ALL of it, and get a k&n panel filter for it. What's on there now is actually hurting your power as its sucking in hot air. Don't have the stock air box? Find an actual cold air intake where the filter is mounted outside of the engine compartment behind the bumper cover, make sure the tube diameter is no more than 2.5 inches. Put oe grade laser iridium plugs in, quality synthetic oil, upgrade ALL your ground cables and call it a day.
If you want exhaust make certain that its no larger than 2", anything bigger hurts the torque on the d17. Then research the y8 intake manifold swap, it's a bit more involved, but can net some gains.
And yeah, pull that chip off there, the stock ecu does a better job of balancing power and safety without outside interference. More than likely the "chip" will just cause det and blow your head gasket one day when its a bit too warm out.

· Registered
10,091 Posts
Skip the K&N filters. The 0.05 horsepower increase is not worth the extra dirt and dust getting into the engine.

D17's already suffer from a weak oiling system and easy to spin bearings.

My d17 benefitted most from having an actual velocity stack fitler setup. BLOX 6inch to 2.5" kit, and use a good filter.

Performance wise, the best mod without spending money is to toss the rearmost muffler. Leave the underbody resonator/muffler that is just in front of the rear tires.

If you can source it, the AEM Kpro conversion camgear works to run KPro management.

Else speeduino DOES in fact support the d17, and even better if you can figure out which OBD1 distributor will match to teh cam key and mounting. Something tells me that will require a junkyard run with multiple fitment pattern distributors to figure out. If you can get one to work, you can use a plug and play OBD1 breakout board for speeduino, and have a factory OBD1 harnes splug in perfectly.

· Registered
74 Posts
The 05 ex still has a power steering pump, correct?
I've seen someone do an RSX electric steering conversion. It made a noticeable difference to me, both in steering and acceleration.
And it cleans up the engine bay a bit.

As to why it feels faster, I'm not sure. Could be the reduced parasitic draw, could be the weight savings of no pump and hoses. It could be just the lightened wallet weight.
However, I felt the car was more fun afterwards.

Plus, it is an adventure to figure out. I'd do it again if I ever had one of those gen civics, for sure.

· Registered
10,091 Posts
Skip the RSX crap, find a 03-05 civic hybrid. You will need the steering module that is center mounted, under the dash on the passenger side, the wiring back and forth, and the rack and bushings.

Super easy swap. The hard part is if you have rusty hardware to deal with. THe bushing bracket bolts love to break.

FOr whatever reason, the civic hybrid stuff is far easier to get a good price on.

Or you can use a volvo electric pump, the fittings are 16x1.5 or 14x1.5 threading with an o-ring, size depends on which model and year volvo you grab it from, and whether it is a type 1 or a type 2 style. THat just needs a power, ground, and ignition source, and after a few seconds of running, it goes into failsafe mode, and defaults to somewhere between 50 and 100% PWM (think fan controller style operation)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts