ajustable aem cam gear
msd 3bar map sensor
Turbonetics delta gate external wastegate
Tial Q 50mm BOV
walbro 255lph fuel pump
custom top mount manifold
garrett t3/t4 , now on a garrett gt35r
all 3" exhaust line
stock radiator with an slim fan who's PUSHING air (always on)

Here 's the story,
-rebuilded the whole engine in new
-(bloc decked,oil pump ported, head milled, new gaskets, new pistons,new rods,new bearing.)
-i started running the engine on a basemap the 1 may,
-runned 1 week with almost no boost
-oil leak at oil pump (overported)
-once the leak at the pump was been repared, the engine run fine till the tune
-tunned with neptune the 12 may,
-pushing [email protected] and [email protected]
-2 step lunch control setted.
-ran the can 2 week at 10 psi, no problems but no hard push in 3-4 gears
-jump the boost at 22 psi, ran 2 day an start pushing coolant but no overheat
-started overheat 4 days later( missing coolant)
-add coolant and no overhead until i pushed him hard
-changed the turbo, shaft play, missed oil at the trustplate
-retorqued the headstuds
-ran great for 3 weeks
-started to push coolant
-changed headgasket for an oem honda.
-ran great for 4 days
-retorqued headstuds
-ran great for 3 weeks
-started to push coolant again, then overheated
-bring the head milled again
-changed the headgasket for a cometic and broked an headstud when torking at 62ft/tq, new kit for arp's (piston #3 was loose, didn't saw it at this time)
-pushing coolant again but never overhead(ran at 14psi)
-retune @ 14psi
-pushing coolant again on dyno
-made [email protected] psi
-broked the #3 piston skirt 30 min after the dyno.

So,
I pulled the whole engine appart.
am now putting some 75.5mm ycp vitaras teflon coated
the bloc and head are going to the machine shop (overbore,deck,milled,o-ring)
putting an cometic headgasket
checking the thermostat
checking the waterpump
checking the dowlspin

What guys are you thinking? I whant to have some oppinions before rebuilding the engine, am now waiting for my pistons kit.

Sorry for bad english am from Quebec canada
Am bored of typing...loll

THANKS
See my others posts for more info on my setup

·
Registered
967 Posts
Maybe your radiator is leaking. Did you check all the hoses on the engine? And I wouldn't o-ring it. The oem head gasket should be more than enough. If its black smoking than your getting to much fuel.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rad leaking? My coolant exit by the overflow tank, and leaking rad should leak on the ground? My tuner recommend the o-ring. The told me that is an "firewall" and it help alot. And yes all the hoses are checked. The surface of the bloc was ruff. Maybe it doesnt help. We will correct that

·
Registered
967 Posts
Depends how rough the surface really was. If it was rough enough for the head gasket to not fill in all the gaps, than yes, that's the problem. If any thing is capable of even slightly flowing threw the head and blocks mating surfaces, its going to blow a head gasket.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will tcheck this out too. Something else?

We have:

-bloc/head surface
-rad or coolant system leak
-timming set up.
-head cracks

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Make sure the block is machined on a mil, not sanded on a belt. Same with the head. They have to be as flat and straight as possible to create a great seal. Use a stock MLS Head Gasket, Honda OEM Z6 head gasket.

When you torque the head studs are you using the moly lube that comes with them? If you follow ARP's instructions, you torque them something like this; torque all studs in the correct star pattern to say 8 ft lbs, then start back at the first one in the pattern and torque it straight to 62 ft lbs, do all of them like this. And the ft lbs I used are only a reference. I only know that you are not supposed to triple step torque them like Honda says, (when using ARP studs). You are supposed to follow Honda's torque star pattern, and ARP's ft lbs torque method. Then you have to check them after so many heat cycles.

Also make sure and check the bypass hose and heater hose that come off of the thermostat housing. The bypass hose is supposed to go from the coolant fitting on the intake by cylinder No. 4 to the right coolant fitting on the thermostat housing (the one closer to the water pump). I know they are side by side on the thermostat housing, I said closer to water pump, so you would know how I was looking at it. The the other coolant fitting on the thermostat housing (closer to transmission side) should go to the heater core, or to the coolant fitting on the head under the distributor, if you are not using the heater core. Yes, those coolant fittings make a difference.

It probably wouldn't hurt to pressure check the Rad.

That's all I have for know. I will edit my post later with the exact torque values from ARP later.

Good luck with the rebuild.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the reps! That's not the rad cap cap for sure i tryed 2. But will buy a new anyways. For the collant hoses i will tcheck them i think that could be an possiblity! For the arps i listen the instruction in the box for tork spec and yes i use moly lube. I tork them to 60-62ft/tq. Depend if i use a extention on the tork wrench or not

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
i had a problem with my car pussing coolant. went through 3 head gaskets. head was fine when it went to the machine shop to be checked. against what everyone said about a block guard i put on in and it solved my problem. what happens is the sleeves can walk around and break the seal on the head gasket. my tuner was afraid of this when we tuned the car but it was fine for a couple weeks and then started pushing.
id say get the head checked and add a block gaurd. idc what people say about how pointless they are. they do serve a purpose.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts