Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wen to get car dyno'd/tuned and the guy would not do it.

He claims it's wrist pin knock he hears and said if i do 3 dyno runs i'll most likely leave on a tow truck.

I did an valve adjustment and that didn't fix the problem.

THe head has been checked out and all valves are good. I'm not low on oil. The noise is loud in the morning. At high rpms it goes away. when im in first its loud. if i accelerate slow it hardly makes noise.

I'll be making a video.

I brought it to a shop and they said it's a valve adjustment too tight. I went over everything twice and it sounds around cylinder 1/2

any ideas?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Valves shouldn't "knock" they chatter louder on a cold start until everything warms up and expands back into spec.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
What motor? My y8 makes nosie in the moring its kinda loud but as the car warms up it goes away or gets very faint. Valves are to spec. Checked 5 times on different day. I have been told its normal. Also hear 3 other y8 that sound the same. But yea get that video up. It could be rod knock, piston slap. Vavles. Or spun bearing

·
Certified O.G.
5,605 Posts
If you're built with Vitaras i'm going to say it's the typical Vitara piston slap.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So i used a sethascope today and listend.Around valve cover seems okay. As soon as i put it on the drivers side motor mount bracket near the engine you hear the knocking clanking noise.

d17 stock engine. the head is fine.
Pretty sure its not bad bearings as i'm boosted 8psi and it has not blown up yet. it's been like this since OCTOBER.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Wooooooowwwwwwwwww. And you are just NOW trouble shooting the issue?

Any metal shavings in the oil when you do an oil change?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No metal shavings in oil pan. like i said, i beat on this 8psi since October. I guess that's what you get for getting junkyard motors :( scammed. (since they don't warranty engines if you put them in yourself.)

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
honestly, it could be a worn out timing belt tensioner. without hearing the noise, there is no way to really tell.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this thread has gone untouched for a while, but my dohc zc has the same sound described. Loud in the morning or after sitting and gets less noticeable as the motor warms. I to am running 8psi on my dd and know that if it was a bearing or wrist pin issue it would have exploded already.Any other Ideas? If I dont find anything soon its rebuild time for the head....

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Valves shouldn't "knock" they chatter louder on a cold start until everything warms up and expands back into spec.
I beg to differ, just ask jon_akers. His sounded like a "tractor" until he set his lash. I thought I had a slight rod knock once, but was just my #1 lifters at about .022"! His were worse than that....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have vitaras with custom length rods and a delta cam. Just did a valve adj. about a month ago and just got done putting a new oil pan on last weekend everything looks great on the bottom end no metal shavings or anything like that. I scoped it and the noise is deff. in the head.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
SRP's have the same sound. Almost like a diesel knock sound. It's more than likely piston slap. Wrist pin knock is a little far fetched on a Honda. I sent my block to Jeremy at InlinePRO in Virginia with my SRP's to get Darton sleeves. Block was sleeved, then bored to piston per cylinder, and I have a slight piston slap until its warm.
If its stock then your junk yard engine does have a problem. That is if you are adjusting the valves when the engine is cold. If you are adjusting them while the engine is warm then you are not making a difference.
All junk yard engines should be rebuilt instead of thrown into your daily driver. You can do a cheap rebuild for about $250.00. And if it's your daily then that's no problem, because you have to depend on that car. You don't want to cheap out on your daily. Don't let $250 be the difference in ridin or walkin.

·
Boost Gets You Laid
4,402 Posts
I have typical vitara piston slap. Those who do not know about these things say stuff like "it sounds like it's going to blow." You learn to live with it or go 75.5mm

1 - 20 of 20 Posts