Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself, d-series.org nor Underground Imports take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: Fit an Oil Catch Can Kit to my eg5 Hatch.

Time: 1hour

Required:
- Drill
- Catch can KIT
- Some 3/8Hose
- Random Hose clamps
- Pipe
- just random tools

Info:
OK this can i have had for ages, its been everywhere and back i am now fitting it to my car the RIGHT way. This is a general guide on how to fit a can like this because it differs so much from car to car and also can to can. I cut and drilled and stuff and i had a fair bit of resources avalaible to me, like pipe and hose and stuff, give it a go with a mate and if u need something u dont have u can always go down to your local hardware, give it a go it was actually fun, because it a lil mroe difficult that you average DIY. and remember, this is a GUIDE only!!!

Step 1:
Ok first step is to find somewhere to mount the can, i chose a lil spot next the battery and behind then intake manifold.

Step 2:
To mount the can here i need to un hook the battery, insulate the positiveand remove the battery completely. There was a lil tab there that i had to bend vertical because there was exactly allot of room even where i thought there was.

Step 3:
Now its time for a ghetto bracket, my can kit had be abused so much my bracket was lookin pretty bad but i still used it. I drill some bigger holes in it so i could put some thick arse nuts and bolts through it to mount on to the battery tray.

a work of art LOL

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Step 4:
I just had a fiddle around to find a good spot to mount the can that wouldnt rub on anything ur do something stupid like get caught in something. I then marked they IDEAL spot for my car, and no it wasnt the perect spot but the best in this situation.

i drilled some pilot holes, and then the bigger ones to hold on my ghet-bracket.

Step 5:
Ok noe time to mount up your bracket

ooooohh yeah that shitn will get you laid. Ok now do a mock up fit of your car to make sure all it well in the clearance department.

lookin good.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Step 6:
Ok now we have mad can mountage a la the ghet-bracket, nice. Now its time to expose that plumbers crack and do some plumbing.
The can needs to be hooked up to the PCV line, well in series of it, in when end of your tank, and out the other. Its hard to explain, have a look.
U basically have to cut the line, make a lil joiner(with pipe or someting similar and hook as done here, nto hard BUT CRUCIAL!!! hooking it up wrong will get u a bigarse nothing from the ladies!!

Basically it should come out of your intake manifold and then into your can and then back to the block right near injector number 3, simple.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Step 7:
Ok now you are all plumbed up and everything. We r good to go. Double check all fittings are tight and secure, also check that eevrything is not in the way of something else.If alls good, start her up.

TOP JOB MATE, THUMBS UP lol

Ok your all done, remember this is just a guide and i just happened to have some stuff lying round to do this, give it a go u wont regret it, looks really nice and has a purpose. Good luck, go forth and DIY.

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
Ahh but on a TURBO you have to plumb it PRE-intake (pipe after filter but before the turbo). I will take some pics of mine and post them. Both the PCV and Valve cover vent are pre-turbo. Only the PCV is hooked up to the catch can.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bizzar said:
Ahh but on a TURBO you have to plumb it PRE-intake (pipe after filter but before the turbo). I will take some pics of mine and post them. Both the PCV and Valve cover vent are pre-turbo. Only the PCV is hooked up to the catch can.
man u know im not rocking a SOHC T like you, remember this is a guide y0! :D

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
yes good write up! I just think that some people with a turbo may read this and set it up the same way. That could spell disaster as on a turbo app using the stock PCV hose from the intake will do nadda!! When it goes under boost it cant vent on a boosted setup. Just a little heads up to turbo peeps. Good stuff none the less. Too bad your battery is on the WRONG SIDE lol. j/k

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bizzar said:
yes good write up! I just think that some people with a turbo may read this and set it up the same way. That could spell disaster as on a turbo app using the stock PCV hose from the intake will do nadda!! When it goes under boost it cant vent on a boosted setup. Just a little heads up to turbo peeps. Good stuff none the less. Too bad your battery is on the WRONG SIDE lol. j/k
haha alls cool man, yeah my throttle cable is too lol.

thanks man :TU: i want a smaller battery asap!!

C

·
0 Posts
good shyt ,trav!ok,here comes the noober question.What is the purpose of the can?I have no idea how it really works?Thanks trav,you da man y0

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
civiccrazy93 said:
good shyt ,trav!ok,here comes the noober question.What is the purpose of the can?I have no idea how it really works?Thanks trav,you da man y0

hey eddie, cans r sick man, major engine bay bling but they do have a purpose.

they basically 'catch' sludge and shit and keep your car running cleaner BASICALLY, for more info go here, not a bad explanation:

http://www.integra.orcon.net.nz/catchcan

C

·
0 Posts
ahhh,i see!looks like a lil summer day project to come.I gotta get better at the diy's.

C

·
0 Posts
Top Aussie said:
man look at me and levi, eg squad representin and doin DIYs yo!!!
time fo me to get up and rep! I gotta do some parts shopping!I'm going to find a way to make some eg squad stickers for us.

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
Top Aussie said:
man look at me and levi, eg squad representin and doin DIYs yo!!!

:werd:

Trav and I are the latest D-Series McGuyvers! Eg Squad Represent y0!

nicw write up Trav, that is actually not a bad place at all to mount the oil catch can. Nice bracket. catch cans arent for bogans.

here is my Greddy oil catch can before I put my msd in:

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
Top Aussie said:
ooooooooooooooohhh Greddy lol.

looks good man, where is it now?

and also u shuold post ur weekend projects in here as DIYS like me :TU:

will do brotha from down unda!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts