Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I crashed my beloved EJ1, and bought an EJ6 as a replacement. I would like to swap a few things over and I'm wondering what components are either a direct swap or would fit with little modification. I work on cars for a living, so getting the job done won't be an issue, I just would like to spend as little as possible and use what I have now, and only replace necessary items with either OEM or equal quality parts.

my EJ1 is a 94 EX coupe. totally stock Z6, manual. absolutely clean and healthy. only 90k original miles on it. bought the car 3 years ago with only 67k on the clock, with the radio being the only aftermarket part on the car. I left the engine stock, and upgraded the suspension. I replaced every available bushing on the car with urethane and new factory bushings where urethane wasnt offered. the shocks have been upgraded to Koni yellows with ground control coil over sleeves and springs. the car took a decent hit to the front, and I'm not all that interested to try and get it straightened out. I dont like bodywork and collision repair.

my EJ6 is a 00 DX hatch. stock Y7, manual. lots of miles, needs some love and attention.

will the suspension swap over? I spent many hours replacing the bushings on my EJ1, and I'm not looking forward to doing it again. I would love to be able to just swap over my entire suspension, if at all possible.

also, would the Z6 be a worthy swap? I'm not looking to try and force it to work, I know anything is possible. I have seen a lot of people that put together some very interesting combinations of blocks, heads and transmissions with various results. I would like to go about this quickly and efficiently. I dont want to spend time trying to figure out what else I need to MAKE it work.

my Z6 tranny had a tendency to grind a gear or two every now and again, despite being filled with fresh honda MTF. I figure the synchros needed to be replaced soon anyways, so now I have a good excuse to do it. is this transmission a direct swap? I noticed some guys remove the torque mounts and just use the 3 main mounts. I would like to retain the two torque mounts. I have the urethane inserts for them, while keeping the 3 main mounts factory rubber. its a great comfortable combo for daily driving, which is how I will use this car. I need something cheap and reliable to get me to and from work, but would I like to have a little bit of fun doing it!

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
There is much more than simply dropping the engine in. Since you don't want to spend the time to figure it out I suggest you leave the stock drivetrain in place.

·
Registered
650 Posts
There is much more than simply dropping the engine in. Since you don't want to spend the time to figure it out I suggest you leave the stock drivetrain in place.
Yeah, the mounts are different, and your also talking about an OBD conversion on the car, so you'd have to do a little wiring.

That being said, it wouldn't be very difficult, especially since everything is stock. It wouldn't be like trying to swap some Franken-minime into a completely different chassis.

·
Registered
My car
65 Posts
The swap should not take that long, as you're not swapping series. Shift linkage will stay the same, mounts (aside from the post) will stay the same, hydro lines. It's all basically the same.

However, your suspension will not work.

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
However, your suspension will not work.
wrong.

Front koni/gc combo will go right on. Rears will be a little different as the lower fork to control arm is different but can be done with some washers. If you are hell bent on keeping all your suspension that you pressed bushings into, you will have to swap full cross members. It is doable, but time consuming.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts