Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Actually looks like an awesome cam but something looks funny with the numbers. Seems like it would be a better forced induction cam as it has real high lift but pretty short duration, only advertised at 240? For a billet cam, $200 is a steal but I'd try to find out more detailed info about the numbers, what rpm range it's designed to make power in...I think you would definitely need springs with that.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i posted something about these cams not too long ago... from what i have read here and on H-T they could be the same as skunk2 cams... but if you do try it out let us know how they work...

·
Registered
693 Posts
I just picked up a Y8 head to tear down and rebuild, I'll seriously consider one of these when it all goes back together. Price can't be beat, no core needed...has to be better than stock, what have I got to lose, right? I like to be adventurous.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
i was looking at that cam earlier... any one have some actual info... is it better for mid range power or what?

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts
Worst that could happen is the cam could wear quick, score your bearing surfaces, kill your rocker arms. However I don't imagine theya re that cheap, and any inferior materials should be obvious after at least a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I just saw specs on the Zex/Comp Cams stage 2, the OBX looks to have more lift. Again though, duration & overlap determine the rpm range so I need to know if the 240 duration is the "advertised" duration, or "duration @ 0.0XX lift". A $200 billet cam that makes power up to 8000rpm would be a dream come true!

·
Registered
693 Posts
civic4ges said:
Worst that could happen is the cam could wear quick, score your bearing surfaces, kill your rocker arms. However I don't imagine theya re that cheap, and any inferior materials should be obvious after at least a few thousand miles.
From what the ad says they are actual billet, not regrind junk. They look like brand new cores and do not appear to be cast either so it could be the real deal! I don't care about brand names so much, just whether it works good. If it does, then mad propage to OBX for looking out for us with reasonable prices on decent stuff, instead of the great "JDM tuner" exploitation we've become accustomed to.

·
Registered
12,272 Posts
klungemonger said:
I'll seriously consider one of these when it all goes back together. Price can't be beat, no core needed...has to be better than stock, what have I got to lose, right? I like to be adventurous.
I say you do it and let us ALL know how it is ... a write up with install would be nice :TU:

·
Registered
693 Posts
thesqad127 said:
I say you do it and let us ALL know how it is ... a write up with install would be nice :TU:
Deal! It will be a little while though, I'm planning to give this head the treatment over the winter...gear, springs, etc...so saving up all that money is going to be tough. I will try one of those though!

Now some brave soul needs to commit to making a move on the OBX atb differential...

·
D-series wise guy
2,858 Posts
If those specs on the ebay auction were right, then the lift on that obx is even higher than the zex. Gonna be hard to find a valvespring that can handle it without being too stiff.

As for the obx lsd's. A guy over on H-T tried it and so far, no compliants. Believed that he had a 400+whp turbo'ed h22. Only time will tell.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=918902

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'd really like to find a spec sheet on the cam, not specs typed out the an Ebay seller. He obviously made a few typos as it is, plus the duration listed seems too far off for either advertised or .05 lift. Advertised I'd expect somewhere around 270-280, at lift in the 220-225 range maybe...

It says "recommend valvespring upgrade" I'd say mandatory, stock springs should bind before hitting that high lift. Even the Crower stage 3 doesn't lift that high, iirc...

·
Registered
936 Posts
on skunk2 website they have "direct replacement" on their s2s1 cam. this cam seems to have the exact same specs. but i'd do valve springs anyways. i think the valve springs from skunk2 should work for that cam because similarities.

·
Registered
693 Posts
alilvietboi4u said:
"you get what you pay for...."
Generally a good principle to go by, except that in this sport we have become accustomed to not getting much for our money and just accepting that is normal. Not that every low-cost product is as good as its more expensive counterparts, but we've been conditioned now to think that anything that doesn't have a big name and huge price tag just HAS to be crap.

If this cam works awesome for $200, I won't think I got a great deal, I'll think I simply got what I paid for. If I bought the same cam from Skunk2 for double the money, then I'd just be a sucker feeding the monster this industry is turning into.

Think about this:
Chevy performance cam and lifter set = less than $100
Honda Civic cam only = $200 minimum
We're getting ripped off man!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts